Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Breeder queens sold out 2019, commercial producers.  (Read 2650 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Breeder queens sold out 2019, commercial producers.
« on: December 17, 2018, 08:13:20 pm »
What the heck is going on:  Latshaw and Colby are sold out for Breeder queens for next year, 2019.  Both produce II queens and supply the large well known queen producers which in turn supply queens to the public.  Looks like 2019 is starting off excitingly well for honeybees.

Latshaw queens are $565.00 a piece, minimum order is 4 queens.  Sue Colby last year travel Asia and obtained necessary paperwork to obtains queens from Asia returning to the US with genetically diversified queens.  I talked with Sue Colby a few weeks ago and demand for her New World Carniolan queens is overwhelming. 

One large breeder I know in California, Greg, can supply queens in lots of 1,000 at a time.  That is a lot of queens to ship in a single day.  Greg obtains his breeders from Latshaw.  Greg then graft eggs, and open mates the virgins that sell for a modest price of $23-$28 dollars.

I read an article a few months back that stated 90% of queens sold in the US are originated from only 1/2 dozen or so producers.

I imagine I am old fashioned, my first hive was $35.00 delivered, 10 frame deep Lang.  Today that is a down payment and if you want an II breeder queen you need to order 6 months in advance.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Breeder queens sold out 2019, commercial producers.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:13:11 pm »
What the heck is going on:  Latshaw and Colby are sold out for Breeder queens for next year, 2019.  Both produce II queens and supply the large well known queen producers which in turn supply queens to the public.  Looks like 2019 is starting off excitingly well for honeybees.

Latshaw queens are $565.00 a piece, minimum order is 4 queens.  Sue Colby last year travel Asia and obtained necessary paperwork to obtains queens from Asia returning to the US with genetically diversified queens.  I talked with Sue Colby a few weeks ago and demand for her New World Carniolan queens is overwhelming. 

One large breeder I know in California, Greg, can supply queens in lots of 1,000 at a time.  That is a lot of queens to ship in a single day.  Greg obtains his breeders from Latshaw.  Greg then graft eggs, and open mates the virgins that sell for a modest price of $23-$28 dollars.

I read an article a few months back that stated 90% of queens sold in the US are originated from only 1/2 dozen or so producers.

I imagine I am old fashioned, my first hive was $35.00 delivered, 10 frame deep Lang.  Today that is a down payment and if you want an II breeder queen you need to order 6 months in advance.
Blessings

Mr van, Looks like you and I need to hook up and start II queen rearing ourselves!! I have watched several videos on the subject and this is a very interesting concept.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:22:57 am »

Also meaning that 90% of US Queens originate from maybe 50 mother Queens where a manny will be sisters mated whith similar drones.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:12:42 am »
From what I have read, II queens have a much shorter egg laying life than naturally mated queens, I think it was about 6 months. The real value of II queens is that you know the exact genetics of the drones that you are mating them with.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:13:01 am »
The real value of II queens is that you know the exact genetics of the drones that you are mating them with.

Jim

This might be a very valuable tool for a major beekeeper who lives in an africanized infested area? Or any beekeeper, for that matter, in such an area.. That is good reason, in my opinion, for II. What are other advantages, their must be many? Breeding for certain contributions , such as mite resistant bees, could be another. tidiness of the hive another? Richard Noel has some good videos on this subject along with others.
Phillip

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 10:44:22 am »
@ Stinger13 .     
Mr Van for curiosity, do you know where Latshaw and Colby are located? Where do they actually do their queen breeding processes?

Ben Framed

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:47:36 am »
@ Jim
I wonder why the II queens play out 6 months earlier than naturally mated queens?
Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 12:39:26 pm »
@ Jim
I wonder why the II queens play out 6 months earlier than naturally mated queens?
Phillip
I believe it is that they run out of stored sperm.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 12:42:04 pm »
@ Stinger13 .     
Mr Van for curiosity, do you know where Latshaw and Colby are located? Where do they actually do their queen breeding processes?

Ben Framed

Joe Latshaw is in Iowa,,, Sue Colby lives in Washington state on an island thus controlled natural mating of the queens is an option.  As you are probably aware, Bees will not cross large bodies of water.  However, Sue Colby utilizes II for her breeders.

Colby and Latshaw are both degreed bee geneticist, PhD level.  Colby hold positions at universities, several, I cannot keep up with Lady.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:03:26 pm by Stinger13 »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 08:33:43 pm »
From what I've watch from Sue's you tube vids before doing my own little II experiment, she said that a
properly inseminated queen can be just as long laying as an open mated queen.  It has something to do with
how much the semen migrated into the spermatheca.   The little spear shape storage bank. 

Personally, I've never been able to duplicate Sue's process.   So I quit killing drones!   I will rely more of saturating my local
DCAs from now on from the drone producing hive.   Distributing drone frames to other growing nucs.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 12:03:14 am »
Beepro: Personally, I've never been able to duplicate Sue's process. 

Beepro, Sue is aware of the valuefold {bend} in the oviduct of the queen and properly negotiates.  Sue is also trained in aseptic techniques.  Maybe you are aware of these issues and conduct accordly.  The needles that Sue uses are sterile, heated to round or dull the sharp edges.  Sue also uses 7 M NaCl between sperm loads in the needle to hydrate and maintain sterility.  The salt is expelled just before each load.  Air space is maintained in the needle between fluids so as not to contaminate.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 01:55:12 pm »

The Hive and the Honey Bee, the Red Book, or Bee Bible as some call.  The value fold I mentioned is so noted in the pic.
Blessings

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 02:29:06 pm »

The Hive and the Honey Bee, the Red Book, or Bee Bible as some call.  The value fold I mentioned is so noted in the pic.
Blessings

Mr. Van I did find a very interesting video on this process. I am thinking that I have it on file. I will go back and try to locate it when I have a few minutes. Thanks for posting