Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Turkish beehives  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Willow

• New Bee
Turkish beehives
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:59:46 am »
Watched an intresting spot on the sci. channels How do they do that about Turkish beehives, They are made of plastic with an air space between the walls and a filter that scrapes mites off the bees when they go through, and they also use powdered sugar so when the bees clean each other off they take the mites off with the powdered sugar. Has anybody had any experience with these. tryed to post a pic of one but was not able to
Trying to learn what all the buzz is about

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Turkish beehives
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:35:42 pm »
Watched an intresting spot on the sci. channels How do they do that about Turkish beehives, They are made of plastic with an air space between the walls and a filter that scrapes mites off the bees when they go through, and they also use powdered sugar so when the bees clean each other off they take the mites off with the powdered sugar. Has anybody had any experience with these. tryed to post a pic of one but was not able to
A friend of mine, here in Jacksonville designed a entrance that knocks the mites off the bees. PM me and, if it is OK with her, I will send her your number. I think she still sells them. I prefer to let the bees take care of the problem themselves.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ugcheleuce

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:58:32 pm »
How do they do that about Turkish beehives? They [have] a filter that scrapes mites off the bees when they go through.

Are you talking about the Apimaye?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SBRJXvCHJA

You can fit it with a pollen scraper, but I don't think it scrapes mites.

...and they also use powdered sugar, so when the bees clean each other off they take the mites off with the powdered sugar.

Varroa control through sugar dusting can be done in any hive.
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/powdered-sugar-dusting-sweet-and-safe-but-does-it-really-work-part-1/
--
Samuel Murray, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
3 hives in desperate need of requeening :-)

Offline Willow

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:12:31 pm »
How do they do that about Turkish beehives? They [have] a filter that scrapes mites off the bees when they go through.

Are you talking about the Apimaye?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SBRJXvCHJA

You can fit it with a pollen scraper, but I don't think it scrapes mites.

...and they also use powdered sugar, so when the bees clean each other off they take the mites off with the powdered sugar.

Varroa control through sugar dusting can be done in any hive.
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/powdered-sugar-dusting-sweet-and-safe-but-does-it-really-work-part-1/

That hive looks similar but these hives are made in Turkey an they are just gaining popularity so they are starting to ship around the world. Don't forget i am new to beekeeping so I'm flooding myself with info. Maybe that isn't a good to much info i mean because i haven't even got my feet wet yet
Trying to learn what all the buzz is about

Offline Izzyvera

• Brood
    • Beekeeping equipment
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 03:10:25 am »
Oh it's old topic, but if somebody will look for the Apimaye - I recommend only Ergo or Nuc, other designs are not have proved to be effective. Here is useful comparison https://makinghoney.info/apimaye-thermo-hive-review/. And here is official US website - https://apimaye-usa.com/, but if you looking for illustrative and detailed information - better to visit their official turkish website, but choose EN language - here you are http://www.apimaye.com.tr/index_en.html
I've started my apimaye this year, so let's see how bees will live through this winter

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 11:25:23 pm »
A friend of mine, here in Jacksonville designed a entrance that knocks the mites off the bees. PM me and, if it is OK with her, I will send her your number. I think she still sells them. I prefer to let the bees take care of the problem themselves.
Jim

Jim I have a question. Does the friend of yours, invention remove the mites from the underneath of the bee and the mites between those plates?
Thanks, Phillip 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline DuaneB

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 05:10:22 pm »
My single deep hive is doing well, here in central NC.  I started it August.  So far, it's doing as well as the other two hive in my account picture.  it's the white one, in the middle.   I have another deep and 3 mediums ( for honey) to go with it.

Duane

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 09:40:22 pm »
Jim

Jim I have a question. Does the friend of yours, invention remove the mites from the underneath of the bee and the mites between those plates?
Thanks, Phillip 
Sorry for the delay. I think I was unable to stop and answer this when I first read it and I never came back to it.
The answer is no. It only brushed the the top of the bees and they fell through the number 8 hardware to a tray.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin