Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Disease Diagnosis Service at beltsville md.  (Read 3485 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Bee Disease Diagnosis Service at beltsville md.
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:55 am »
I bought used frames and shallows at a auction. They show moth chewing in the wood. What testing can the lab do in beltsville md.? And what would i need to shipped in (frame. old comb)? Some frames have old drawned comb left in them that is a few years old .
Thanks

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Bee Disease Diagnosis Service at beltsville md.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:21:23 pm »
Wax moths are not a disease, so Beltsville can't help you with those. Other than chewing divots out of the wood and trashing combs they do no harm. I would not reuse the old combs or frames but boxes are not a problem. If you're worried about it use a propane torch and scorch the boxes to kill any lingering spores of AFB.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:08:02 pm »
If you know where the hives came from and how they died out, I would not worry about reusing anything in the hives.   If there is even enough comb left, I would leave it alone and let the bees clean it up.    Drawn comb is always a bonus.   And with the moths, they can not hurt the bees as long as you have a strong hive of bees.   

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:33:58 am »
Wax moths are not a disease, so Beltsville can't help you with those. Other than chewing divots out of the wood and trashing combs they do no harm. I would not reuse the old combs or frames but boxes are not a problem. If you're worried about it use a propane torch and scorch the boxes to kill any lingering spores of AFB.

You can do hive irradiation and you can put in combs,wood and all it will kill ALL
diseases Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/