Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How concerned should I be about loaning out my extractor?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
How concerned should I be about loaning out my extractor?
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:27:53 pm »
I bought a used Dadant extractor and my friend wants to use it.  I am a bit leary of letting him for fear I will get whatever he may have.  I could inspect his two hives first but I don't really feel like taking the time to do that.  I guess there is a little irony in being concerned about loaning out a used extractor but how concerned should I be?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: How concerned should I be about loaning out my extractor?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:42:14 pm »
Alot of clubs have club extractors. I have heard of folks saying take care in spreading diseases through feeding honey but never extractor use.
In dealing w/ blood borne pathogens a solution of bleach and water is used to decontaminate. Surely if it takes care of those pathogens a solution of bleach would clean your extractor if you are concerned.

Of course this is just my opinion and we know what is said about opinions :-D!
John 3:16

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:43:48 pm »
Your real issue is foul brood...

If you wash it VERY well after it is returned you probably will be without issue.

If you feed extracted honey to your bees, my concern would be increased.
If not, its not likely to be a problem (as long as you clean it well).
In fact, I'd tell him/her to clean it first, and then I'd re-clean it again.

Foul brood disease presents itself when enough infectious spores are present.
By cleaning you decrease the amount of spores and viability of the spores that are present.

I don't lend any of my extractors out.
Anyone that looks long enough can find an old hand crank one for a few bucks at a garage sale or such.
In the past I have gotten one free and another under $20.
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:21:15 am »
I use borrowed extractors. I meticulously clean them before I return them, and they are usually cleaner than when I picked them up. I feel that if someone is going to lend me their extractor, it should be spotless when I return it - but that's me. You know your friend, if you feel you need to, provide "cleaning instructions" along with the extractor. Specify HOW you want it cleaned.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:09:44 pm »
It might sound dangerous,but you have to remember,other bees visit your hives as well as your bees visit others. The odds are probably about the same.
If you have one hive that outproduces another many fold,you may have a colony that is efficient at robbing others and carrying back any other spoils that may be there.The chances of spreading disease is probably just as great in nature if you are all in the same geographic area as is is by using an extractor that belongs to some one else.If it's clean,you should be fine.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:12:08 am »
souldn't be a problem if your worried about AFB a good cleaning with a steam genie and bleach should kill just about anything.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 10:01:50 am »
Thank you all.  You have set my mind at ease a bit.  I will be helping him extract, too, so maybe he will see what a hassle it is and decide to do crush and strain next year.  Having extracted several hours yesterday I have decided that with just a few hives it may be better not to bother with an extractor. :)
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB