Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: lots of last year's capped honey in the hive  (Read 1470 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
lots of last year's capped honey in the hive
« on: May 03, 2008, 09:28:01 am »
One of my hives has 3 or 4 frames of capped honey from last season.  Is that too much? Shall I uncap it so they eat/move it?  My freezer will not permit storage there.  Other hives have plenty too.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
Re: lots of last year's capped honey in the hive
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:36:01 am »
If they don't need it why not extract it with your supers?  We try to keep a deep frame on each side of both deeps on a 10 frame hive.
Jim   

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:46:32 am »
One of my hives has 3 or 4 frames of capped honey from last season.  Is that too much? Shall I uncap it so they eat/move it?  My freezer will not permit storage there.  Other hives have plenty too.

Are your bees making honey now? If so I would pull those frames from last season. That honey may have crystalized as it has gone through winter so the quality is prob not that good for selling, would make good feed though.

I would extract it and give the frames back to the bees to clean up and reuse for the spring flow.

Enjoy it for what its worth.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 12:36:26 pm »
>One of my hives has 3 or 4 frames of capped honey from last season.  Is that too much?

They will burn that up in three or four days rearing brood.

> Shall I uncap it so they eat/move it?

If you like.  They will when they need it.  But that will speed things along if you're in a hurry.  Why are you in a hurry?

>  My freezer will not permit storage there.  Other hives have plenty too.

So you have three or four frames of a different depth of frame than the brood nest of the hives?  Is that the issue?  You could uncap and put a super on and hope they move it down.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin