Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: capped with dysentary streaks ok to use?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
capped with dysentary streaks ok to use?
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:41:40 pm »
I just transferred my weakest hive (2 frames of bees and lots of honey left) to a nuc box.  It was a cool evening so I did not linger looking for brood but I saw her majesty briefly.  Some of the honey frames have what look like dysentary streaks on the cappings.  Can I still let the bees of this hive eat it or should I scrape it off the foundation and toss it?

I also have two booming hives and I wonder if I could safely boost the population by adding a frame or two of brood and bees.  Should I shake a couple frames, too, so I get enough bees to care for the brood added? Mixing different races this way would not matter would it?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: capped with dysentary streaks ok to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:56:25 pm »
I'd use it, but if you like you can put some vinegar on it to kill any spores of Nosema that might be there.  Maybe you can wipe the feces off with the vinegar.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything