Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OAV under the SBB ?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
OAV under the SBB ?
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:03:23 am »
I thought I saw a thread on this but can't find it.

Are there any issues with putting the vaporizer on the sticky board and vaporizing up through the screened bottom board?

My sticky board is wood so no significant heat issues there. Sealing the hive opening and around the sticky board shouldn't be any issue. I guess my concern is the cooler screen causing the OA vapor to condense before it rises into the combs.

Am I over thinking this?
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Groundhawg

• House Bee
Re: OAV under the SBB ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:03:28 pm »
You will lose some as the vapor rises through the screen but I can not give you a % of how much.  Some others have stated it is as much as 30% or more but I have not seen any test results proving that.
Gracious words are like a honey comb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 03:06:46 pm »
I have also read statements about the acid having a corrosive impact on the screen, but not sure. Just have read it.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:34:35 pm »
Thanks. I appreciate your inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:10:15 pm »
My second year, my father in law recommended that I use Mitaway II to kill SHB that that year were out of control. (I killed thousands of them in the oil trays in every hive every month.) I set up one empty hive away from my hives with the perscribed amount and left it as directed. When I opened it up, I had a large hole in the SBB and the STB. I never used it again.
As a matter of fact, if anyone wants the rest of it and is in the area, it is yours.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything