Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any wild hogs in your area?  (Read 8706 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Any wild hogs in your area?
« on: April 29, 2021, 04:49:29 am »
Any wild hogs in your area?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:29:50 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Any wild hogs in your area?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 01:44:00 pm »
Lots of wild hogs, in some areas, out here on the left coast. None right where I live. 3 miles away maybe.

Wild boar is excellent eating. I made meatballs yesterday. 2/3 elk & 1/3 wild boar. Italian seasoning: sage, fennel, white pepper, oinion, garlic, black pepper, and a touch of cayenne pepper, (I mix my own). Mmmm-mmm good!

Also: place a rack of 3 boar ribs & and a large chunk of elk into the slow cooker in the morning. Add spices. Come home in the evening and add veggies. Dinner is ready at 7 pm. Don't forget a good glass of wine. Mmmmmmm!

I'm getting hungry!  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 02:27:39 pm »

Lots of wild hogs, in some areas, out here on the left coast. None right where I live. 3 miles away maybe.

Wild boar is excellent eating. I made meatballs yesterday. 2/3 elk & 1/3 wild boar. Italian seasoning: sage, fennel, white pepper, oinion, garlic, black pepper, and a touch of cayenne pepper, (I mix my own). Mmmm-mmm good!

Also: place a rack of 3 boar ribs & and a large chunk of elk into the slow cooker in the morning. Add spices. Come home in the evening and add veggies. Dinner is ready at 7 pm. Don't forget a good glass of wine. Mmmmmmm!

I'm getting hungry!  :cool:

Your post is what I call and excellent complement to this sections heading! "FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE"
That sounds delicious Alan! Thanks for sharing the thoughts and ingredients. I do not have access to elk but perhaps something else could be substituted? 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 03:05:53 pm »
We have feral hogs here.  They don't tend to hang around where people are, so I have never seen one, but they are a serious problem in the national park.  They root up and destroy the ground really bad, and I've heard they can be quite dangerous if startled. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 03:45:26 pm »
Ben - any other red meat can be substituted: deer, goat (including Speed Goats [antelope]), mutton, house cat, etc ... even the lowly cow (yuck!!) ... I forgot rabbits, definitely rabbits.  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

15th - wild boar are extremely dangerous. They will read the person & are very intelligent. If they think they can get away with it, they'll take a person down very quickly. And you don't get up. ... there was a country bar, right near my favorite boar hunting area, that we used to go to back in my military days. The walls of the bar were papered with photographs of humans who had been attacked by pigs in the local area. 1000's of pictures, dating back to the '60's. Most pics were leg wounds. Some just showed human remains ... today the bar is gone. It's a polite country store now. Wish the bar was still there. It was a sobering reminder of what we'd be facing the next day.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 05:26:15 pm »
Ben - any other red meat can be substituted: deer, goat (including Speed Goats [antelope]), mutton, house cat, etc ... even the lowly cow (yuck!!) ... I forgot rabbits, definitely rabbits.  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

15th - wild boar are extremely dangerous. They will read the person & are very intelligent. If they think they can get away with it, they'll take a person down very quickly. And you don't get up. ... there was a country bar, right near my favorite boar hunting area, that we used to go to back in my military days. The walls of the bar were papered with photographs of humans who had been attacked by pigs in the local area. 1000's of pictures, dating back to the '60's. Most pics were leg wounds. Some just showed human remains ... today the bar is gone. It's a polite country store now. Wish the bar was still there. It was a sobering reminder of what we'd be facing the next day.

There is a fellow that I know that played football at Mississippi State. He hog hunts in the Mississippi Delta behind the River levee. He was telling me of one of his buddies that was attacked on a hunt and was cut severely in the leg. They took him immediately to a small local hospital where he was treated and seemed fine, but later died from the wound. Infection I suppose.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 11:38:13 pm »

:angry: You are giving my baby bunnies nightmares, Alan! :cheesy: :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 01:04:13 am »
Cool, Everything sounds good except the house cat!  :cheesy: :wink: :tongue:

Rabbit; Yum!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 08:09:18 am »
I had a large boar on my property back in 2005, never saw another one until I added on another 50 acres. Had a medium size one and a baby destroying my pastures this year. Tried hunting them but never found them. I talked to a neighbor that is raising them. He denied it but I?m pretty sure his pigs got out and them he was able to capture them again. We have not had any damage since I talked to him.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 12:33:11 pm »
Lots of hogs on my place, Wed. night they rooted within 3 feet of some hives.  Never had any trouble with them around bees but they make planting crops impossible until I level the ground.  Three weeks ago there was a wild hog tournament  and some friends caught 36  hogs over 60 pounds in one night on my place and the next ranch in one night. They came in second.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 12:57:22 pm »
I had a large boar on my property back in 2005, never saw another one until I added on another 50 acres. Had a medium size one and a baby destroying my pastures this year. Tried hunting them but never found them. I talked to a neighbor that is raising them. He denied it but I?m pretty sure his pigs got out and them he was able to capture them again. We have not had any damage since I talked to him.
Jim Altmiller

Good he got them back up before they went feral. And remember Jim, legend has it the feud between the Hatfields and McCoys started over hogs!  :shocked:  :grin:

Lots of hogs on my place, Wed. night they rooted within 3 feet of some hives.  Never had any trouble with them around bees but they make planting crops impossible until I level the ground.  Three weeks ago there was a wild hog tournament  and some friends caught 36  hogs over 60 pounds in one night on my place and the next ranch in one night. They came in second.

That was a good nights catch! You have plenty for sure! I suppose free ranging hogs worked good as long as folks were eating them as fast as they were multiplying back in the old days, but now, mum..... You are overloaded!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 02:20:10 pm »
:angry: You are giving my baby bunnies nightmares, Alan! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Sorry 15th - as the scorpion said to the frog, "it's in my nature" -  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 08:18:38 am »
I am told wild hogs are very gamey like all wild life but more so.  They definitely have them here is south FL.  Not sure the gaters even like them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 09:53:20 am »
For the most part, Gator?s only eat what they can swallow. A large pig is too big to swallow. They eat the young ones.
Crocodiles on the other hand eat large animals and can tear them apart to eat them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 11:03:12 am »
For the most part, Gator?s only eat what they can swallow. A large pig is too big to swallow. They eat the young ones.
Crocodiles on the other hand eat large animals and can tear them apart to eat them.
Jim Altmiller
That's very interesting, I didn't know that.  That explains the difference between alligator's and crocodile's teeth.  It also explains why crocodiles are said to be more dangerous than alligators.   

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 12:33:14 pm »
I am told wild hogs are very gamey like all wild life but more so. ...

That hasn't been my experience with hogs, or any other animals.

Wild Game should never EVER have a "gamey" flavor. That "flavor" comes from the out-gassing of bacteria. The bacteria begins to attack the meat as soon as the animal dies. The bacteria must be killed as soon as possible to prevent this. Killing the bacteria is done by cooling the meat - preferably at or near freezing - as fast as possible. This is where most hunters ruin their meat. They are too busy taking pictures, wasting precious minutes. Meanwhile, the meat is going down the "gamey" road.

"Gamey" flavored meat - is a failure of the Hunter. Nothing else.

Our house eats nothing but wild game. I won't eat "gamey" flavored meat. ... it's my worst nightmare, when someone invites me over for dinner, knows I'm a hunter, and says, "we cooked deer meat for you, from the deer that Charlie got last year" ... I won't eat it because it tastes like s***. 

Most people at my house never know they're eating Wild Game meat (deer, elk, hog, bear, etc). The conversation usually goes like this, "This meat is Amazing! Where did you buy it?" ...

I de-bone an animal the moment it hits the ground. The meat then goes directly into the chest freezer that's sitting in my truck/camp. The freezer is run by a small generator. I do the "processing" of the meat at home, some days/weeks later - at my leisure.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:55:39 pm by CoolBees »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 01:21:46 pm »
Good post Cool.

> I de-bone an animal the moment it hits the ground. The meat then goes directly into the chest freezer that's sitting in my truck/camp. The freezer is run by a small generator. I do the "processing" of the meat at home, some days/weeks later - at my leisure.

Is this chest freeze kept at just above freezing or is the meat frozen, then later thawed for processing?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:34:27 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 01:47:50 pm »
Is this chest freeze kept at just above freezing or is the meat frozen, then later thawed for processing?

Good question Ben. I keep the freezer at the coldest possible setting at all times. The meat is kept in deep-freeze. I thaw it by unplugging the freezer for 10 days (assuming a full freezer) - but leaving it closed. This slowly brings the meat up to just about freezing, where it's easily worked, but still very cold. ... took a few yrs of learning to arrive at this solution.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 02:04:27 pm »

Good question Ben. I keep the freezer at the coldest possible setting at all times. The meat is kept in deep-freeze. I thaw it by unplugging the freezer for 10 days (assuming a full freezer) - but leaving it closed. This slowly brings the meat up to just about freezing, where it's easily worked, but still very cold. ... took a few yrs of learning to arrive at this solution.

That is the neatest trick I have heard yet! We would immediately debone our deer, place in a large cooler in the back of the pickup with a good layer of ice on bottom, place the meat, cover with ice and ride it around for a week adding ice as needed keeping it literally ice cold. As the ice slowly melts, leaving a mixture of ice and water, along with the shaking around of the truck rides. Just add ice as needed. Do not run completely out of ice, leaving the de-blooded meat with great results of no gamey taste, clean and (bloodless as possible) I suppose . Your way sounds more convenient.  Thanks

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 03:02:16 pm »

That is the neatest trick I have heard yet! We would immediately debone our deer, place in a large cooler in the back of the pickup with a good layer of ice on bottom, place the meat, cover with ice and ride it around for a week adding ice as needed keeping it literally ice cold. As the ice slowly melts, leaving a mixture of ice and water, along with the shaking around of the truck rides. Just add ice as needed. Do not run completely out of ice, leaving the de-blooded meat with great results of no gamey taste, clean and (bloodless as possible) I suppose . Your way sounds more convenient.  Thanks

Sounds like we ended up at the same place using very similar paths. I used to use coolers also, but if your camp gets 4 Elk and 8 deer, it takes a lot of coolers & ice. ... one day I was at a friend's place, and saw a stack of large coolers that belonged to his mom. I asked her if I could borrow some coolers, and explained why. She was a common-sense kind of lady. She says, "ain't you got a chest freezer?" - Yes - "and ain't you got a generator?" - again, Yes ... well "duh on me". ... so I switched to the freezer.  :grin: She was a great lady - 70 yrs old, and she hunted constantly.