Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Beetle Traps  (Read 1942 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Hive Beetle Traps
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:56:04 am »
ARe these things worth it? I have not used them and have had no trouble with hive beetles. I don't even see many when I open the hive up

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hive Beetle Traps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:28:52 am »
I've got screen bottoms with an oil pan on about half my hives.  I've killed thousands of beetles with them over the last few years.  IMO they work very well when needed.  If you only see a few when you open your hive the I wouldn't worry.  Just use the hive tool on them.  I've noticed that the beetles tend to pick out the weak hives.  Last spring I had one in my yard next to six others that had hundreds of beetles when the rest had maybe a couple.  I filled the pan with oil and removed an empty box.  Over the next couple of weeks the oil pan probably killed a couple hundred beetles from that one hive. The bees were then able to take care of the rest of them.   

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:55:11 am »
I will keep an eye out for them then

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:29:20 pm »
ditto cao.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:10:33 pm »
I have tried the traps. I think they are a waste of time. Usually all they do is spill oil on the bees and make a hiding spot under the top piece of plastic.
I've got screen bottoms with an oil pan on all of my hives. I have killed thousands per month per hive when I put oil in them. Between my hives and a neighbors hives, we really knocked down the local SHB population.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Simondsrach

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 02:22:54 am »
Super newbie here ... Any special pan ?   I'm guessing essential oils, what kind ?  I need to start a list  :wink: of other things

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:15:20 am »
Simon,
I make my oil pans out of a roll of 18" wide galvanized steel. I bend a 3/4 inch lip on all 4 sides.  You have to have the pan closed in so that the bees cannot get to it. Put a #8 wire cloth on the bottom of the hive so that when the bees harass the SHBs, they drop to the floor and go through the #8 wire. I build the bottoms of my hives with the wire for the floor and add a board around the bottom edge so that the pans rest on it and I staple window screen over it so that the bees cannot get to the pan. I staple a board onto the rear side of the pan that is cut to the size of the opening in the back side of the hive. I put a little handle on that board so that I can pull the board/pan out easily for cleaning.
I use vegetable oil because it is low smell and the cheapest one I can get. If I could get mineral oil at the same price, I would use that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 07:07:40 pm »
I use a cheap cookie sheet pan(11x17) with mineral oil.  The main thing is make sure that the pan is bee proof.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 01:07:16 pm »
I have installed the Joe May type SHB trap.
You can use a 70 mm or 2 3/4" hole saw and fit a Mason or Ball jar lid in the hole, cut a round circle of No. 8 hardware cloth inside the cover.......remove the lid that comes with the jar, put 3/8" of mineral oil in the jar and screw it on.
I haven't seen my first SHB yet so I haven't put the oil in the jar yet.
If interested you can Google Joe May SHB and it comes up.

Thanks

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 08:07:06 pm »
If you open a hive and lots of beetles in it you have a problem!Usually queen gone bad and population dying off.They willtake it over quickly and slime it  like you would not believe!UGHH

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:06 pm »
Every time one of my hives swarms the beetles move in before they actually swarm. They also do it if I totally rearrange the hive due to splitting or fixing a problem.
One of my strongest hives had over 300 SHBs in the dry oil tray right after they swarmed.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything