Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: muscari bulbs-grape hyacinth  (Read 3059 times)

Offline akane

• New Bee
muscari bulbs-grape hyacinth
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:18:07 pm »
I was wandering through the bulbs that a few stores have out and thought these looked interesting.  Looking them up online it says to plant in fall.  I have a dozen muscari armeniacum in the package and they all have little green sprouts on them.  We still have snow predicted for this week.  What should I do with them and when and how should I plant them?

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: muscari bulbs-grape hyacinth
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:49:50 pm »
Plant em, might bloom in july but they need to get into the ground..mulch over cause they don't have a root system yet.  I love those, they multiply every year!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 01:06:46 am »
Even though the ground is still half frozen and we have a month until frost date?

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:22:01 pm »
They can take the cold once they get going.  I would wait till a day when it's not freezing, plant em & mulch over with straw, shavings, compost, whatever to keep em from freezing solid. OR put em in peat pots, water & keep in basement, garage or whatever just so they don't freeze, They house may be too warm too fast. Put em out when it warms a bit, then put em in the ground pot & all to keep the rootsystem intact. Your frost date is before ours! We don't have the deep freezes though, only a week or so at a time so there really isn't a freezing line. Cindi is the expert though :-D   J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

anything