Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Electric heating of colonies during spring weather  (Read 6690 times)

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Electric heating of colonies during spring weather
« on: June 07, 2004, 04:50:06 pm »
I took into use electric thermo cabels in hives last year. Now I have in my every 18 colony electric heating.  15 W.  They are terrarium heaters. http://www.reptilica.de/shop/product_info.php/cPath/22_25_38/products_id/35/lang/english/index.htm

4 colony was heated during all winter with 7 W heater.

Also I have feeded my colonies with pollen+yeast+ soya flour  3 months. Colonies are now in very good condition.  Willows start blooming in Finland about first of May (1.5.). I started feeding about 15.3.

During summer a little one box colony makes 3 times more larvas than without heating.

Does any have experience from heating colonies?

Here you can see our weather. Now  +7C and rain http://www.tiehallinto.fi/alk/frames/kelikamerat-frame.html

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 05:41:58 pm »
Finman,

How do you have the cables installed in the hive?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Anonymous

Cables in the hive
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 05:47:19 pm »
Quote from: Robo
Finman,

How do you have the cables installed in the hive?

It is on the floor of the nest.  3-4 m long cable. Queen likes to go down lay eggs to the bottom box. Very easy to use. Water resistant.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 08:16:07 am »
I heated a hive all winter and a new package in the spring with a 15w light bulb under the hive. I had some problems with overheating the hive and some bees would leave the hive when it was too cold. The hive was very strong in the spring and I split it 3 ways. The package grew much faster also. The 7 watt cables would work better. Heating can work well, especially where it is very cold in the winters. I plan on heating several again this winter.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 09:28:06 am »
Quote from: Anonymous
I heated a hive all winter and a new package in the spring with a 15w light bulb under the hive. I had some problems with overheating the hive and some bees would leave the hive when it was too cold. .

I do not keep heating under winter ball. It disperses the ball.
After "clean upp flight" ,as we say, I put heating cable into nest.

I had 2 frame colony and I put half a cable in the empty part of superb. It was really tiny. But now it has 2 superbs. It overwintered very well.

In Hungary they use 3W heaters during winter. So I have heard. When I tried 3 W, it was no use.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 10:00:21 am »
Finman:

I'm not sure if the last few posts in this topic were yours. Check to see if you are logged in, we cover logging in problems in the TECHNICAL SUPPORT FORUM - it can be a little tricky at first.

But if you are asked for your USERNAME and PASSWORD when you are posting - you ARE NOT logged in.

If this wasn't you in the post listed as "Guest" then to the guest, I'm curious what country you are from, you posts are interesting - thank you.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 10:22:41 am »
Quote from: beemaster
Finman:

I'm not sure if the last few posts in this topic were yours. .

Yes, they are mine. Difficulties to see, when i am in or out. Sorry.

I have 2 computers, at my work this and at my home another, different IP-numbers.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 12:39:42 pm »
Finman:

The IP isn't really the issue - only time THAT would be in play is giving someone the BIG BOOT from the forum - which I hope will never have to happen here, this is the friendliest forum I have ever been a member of.

The software is just a little strange, requiring you (sometimes, but not always) to log-in twice, not recognizing your first attempt and THAT throws a lot of people off at first.

I think the best thing I can always suggest is to CLICK ON THE HONEYBEE IMAGE to go back to the main page rather than choosing back in your browser - and of course (if possible) click on REMEMBER MY USERNAME and PASSWORD option.

I don't opt to stay logged in at work because it is a multi-user computer and Windows 2000 (what the Federal Government here uses) is quirky in the multi-user department, although we have to log in individually.

So, glad to have you aboard again, I see a second Fin aboard just yesterday too - I've seen stranger coincidences, but you guys might be friends or neighbors! Also, another member from India :)

Believe me, I enjoy this forum every bit as much as everyone else here - I love the LOG-HIVE images from Sean Chan from Malaysia - they really stick out as the most interesting hives I have ever seen.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything