Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Drumming.  (Read 6386 times)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: Hive Drumming.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 03:52:52 am »
Mongrels; AMM; a Carnie-Buckfast cross (which arrived as a swarm and are lovely); and 2 genetic lines of pure Carniolan which were imported last year. 
Excuse the ignorance again but what does AMM stand for?

Apis Mellifera Mellifera - which is a bit of a mouthful, so is often abbreviated to AMM.  These are the bees native to Britain, Germany and much of Western Europe.  They're sometimes known as the German Black Bee, or the British Black Bee.  These would have been the first bees imported into America with the early Pilgrims - as in those days, these would have been the only bees available in Western Europe.  Carniolan, Italian and other bees were introduced much later.   AMM have a reputation for being hardy, but bad tempered, especially when crossed with other types of bee.

I had planned to breed AMM,  as there is a small but growing market for native bees - however, the alleged 'breeding stock' I bought turned out to be worse bees (behaviour-wise) than the existing mongrels they were intended to replace. So much for 'Plan A' ...
So - I decided to breed Carniolans instead, for the beginner market ... but no sooner had I ordered (and paid for) two genetic lines of Carnies, than a swarm of (believed to be) Carniolan-Buckfast bees turned up unannounced, and which have turned out to be one of the nicest crosses of bee I've yet encountered.  Which is odd, because according to some experts, this cross should be extremely nasty.  This cross has now been bred through 4 generations with local drones, and are staying more-or-less true to their original pleasant nature.  As you guys so often say, "go figure".
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 08:18:22 am »
Perhaps I should have said, "as completely as humanly possible, given the existing circumstances" - but I try to avoid pedantry whenever possible.
LJ

I was wondering if a QE is a practical solution to kill off the drones in a case where you used a mated queen?  Assuming it was placed after the drones were all in.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 11:30:32 am »

I do have a number of dedicated drone hives spread around the area, so hopefully the significant numbers of drones from those sources will minimise the spread of evil from the aforesaid bar-stewards ...
LJ
Drone hives? What do those consist of exactly? First I've heard of that.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 02:44:41 pm »

I do have a number of dedicated drone hives spread around the area, so hopefully the significant numbers of drones from those sources will minimise the spread of evil from the aforesaid bar-stewards ...
LJ
Drone hives? What do those consist of exactly? First I've heard of that.

I'm halfway out of the door - so this will have to be quick ...

Q/X's over the entrance will only work if they have a large surface area - otherwise drones will block access completely.  There are purpose-made drone traps available,

Ok - drone hives ...  The problem with open mating (unless you've got your own private island) is that any ol' drone will have his wicked way with your carefully selected and nurtured virgin.

There are two ways I know of, of maximising the chances of the 'right' drone getting to mate.

One is to flood the area using drone hives.  More info here: http://www.apiservices.com/articles/fr/selection_%20queen_breedings.pdf

The second is a technique called 'Midnight Mating' - which doesn't actually happen at midnight, but in the late afternoon.  It was pioneered by an Aussie named Joe Horner. More info here:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-16767.html
You may have already guessed that some of us combine these two techniques.  :cool:

Sorry - got to dash - hope that's sufficient info to be getting on with 
LJ

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 10:40:24 am »
Ok. I would like to hear from someone. on a farm, not in a neighborhood. that has used drumming on known Africans.
Africans are a known quantity. they are very mean and will sting you up. I know.
trifling with a mean hive. or Africans just isn't the same or equal.
can one tame Africans with this method, is the question?   

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 04:37:36 am »
I'm certainly going to try it a few more times - especially when weather fronts are approaching (which is common enough over here)

Well, I didn't have to wait very long - this was the sky just after 1 p.m. :

Heavily overcast, short bright periods with thunder rumbling in the distance - not the sort of day anyone in their right mind would normally open a beehive - but I managed to inspect six hives under these conditions without any problems until a serious thunderstorm (which put the fields under water for a while and took the broadband connection out for an hour or so) put paid to any more work today.

I didn't slap the hives as before, but just kept smoking the 'next' hive in the row to be inspected and giving it a series of 'raps' with a tool every so often, and so by the time I came to open that hive the bees were as quiet as mice, with most off the frame top bars and clinging to their combs. 

I'm not suggesting that this is a desirable way to go about inspecting hives under normal circumstances, but it's appearing to be very useful when inspecting on a 'bad weather day' - of which we tend to have more than our fair share.
LJ
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:10:09 pm by little john »

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 08:38:38 am »
There's a guy in (?)Honduras who keeps AHBs. He has a website where he posts different things about his bees. I'd bet he'd be a good one to ask. When I get home this evening I'll try to look him up and post his website.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2022, 10:57:36 am »
This is an older topic. Have any of you tried this?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2022, 12:37:26 pm »
As far as calming bees down by moving the hive, I've done this many times and it doesn't involve drumming.

As far as moving bees up to the top of the stack of boxes by tapping on the hive.  I've done this a few times.  It works.

As far as getting a swarm to move into a hive after shaking them on a bed sheet, I've done this many times with great success.  Just tap on the side of the hive and soon some bees will start marching in and soon they all start marching in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2022, 01:50:51 pm »
Works the same if you drop a box full of honey and it rolls down the hill 10 feet  :embarassed:
Or drop them off the trailer at 60 miles an hour on the highway. Ask me k how I know? ☺️
Jim Altmiller

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 05:05:06 pm by Ben Framed »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2022, 05:05:18 pm »
Works the same if you drop a box full of honey and it rolls down the hill 10 feet  :embarassed:
Or drop them off the trailer at 60 miles an hour on the highway. Ask me k how I know? ☺️
Jim Altmiller

Goodness, you fellows have taken drumming to a different level!  :shocked: :grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.