Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees refusing to leave a swarm trap  (Read 3504 times)

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
Bees refusing to leave a swarm trap
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:31:14 pm »
I  moved a large swarm from a trap into a deep today.... And just now three hours later came back to get rid of the trap and put it away thinking all stragglers would have made their way to the box .... There were like 10 bees left in the trap huddled in a corner and as I shook them out 5 small hive beetles came pouring out of a crack in the bottom of the trap the bees were guarding so I got to play whack a beetle and killed them all but it was interesting to see the hive beetles corralled by the bees in the trap and the bees refusing to follow the queen to the new box and let them loose... Something new every day.https://youtu.be/3bRbTshonpA
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Bees refusing to leave a swarm trap
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:55:10 pm »
Wow

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 09:42:37 pm »
Jeff,
Do you see any comb in that hive?

Did anyone ever tell you you sound just like Forest Gump  :smile:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 12:07:40 pm »
Jim

LOL! You SO DO Jeff! lol That's cool about the beetles.

I have had no activity on my traps at all. I'm gonna move them when I'm off tomorrow.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 02:32:27 pm »
Jim

LOL! You SO DO Jeff! lol That's cool about the beetles.

I have had no activity on my traps at all. I'm gonna move them when I'm off tomorrow.
Right after you move them, a swarm will arrive at that location.  :cheesy:
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 05:57:31 pm »
Jim I am not sure whether to take that as a compliment of not ;-)
 And yes Jim its a full on colony not just a swarm.....the video was shot close to dusk where all the foragers were back...I was up there mid day yesterday on a removal estimate call and stopped by to ogle it and without foragers there was plenty of comb visible...was in a hurry and didn't get additional photos

Totally didn't mean to link that video into this post....seriously not sure how it got there.

Yvonne I have three removals lined up...One will be super fun....bees moved into stacked cinder blocks under a tarp.....teeny little combs in the void spaces of the blocks. Come on down to the Keys you can help and then truck the bees back to the great white north ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 11:49:22 am »
Right after you move them, a swarm will arrive at that location.  :cheesy:

Lol yeah I'm figuring as much. Lol

Yvonne I have three removals lined up...One will be super fun....bees moved into stacked cinder blocks under a tarp.....teeny little combs in the void spaces of the blocks. Come on down to the Keys you can help and then truck the bees back to the great white north ;-)

Jeff, I'm on my way! lol
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 12:16:15 pm »
I can even provide oceanfront accommodations if you hurry before the unit sells ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:26:24 pm »
The bees arrest the beetles and hold them in place but sometimes the beetles will entice the bees to feed  them bu stroking their tentacles.Mother nature at work for sure!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:44:25 pm »
"Jim I am not sure whether to take that as a compliment of not ;-)"
Jeff,
Just stating the facts, just the facts. :grin:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 12:46:36 pm »
The bees arrest the beetles and hold them in place but sometimes the beetles will entice the bees to feed  them bu stroking their tentacles.Mother nature at work for sure!
If the bees did not feed the beetles with the bees locking them in the crevices, the beetles would die.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 02:38:41 pm »
I have read that the bees do that but I have never seen them do so!That colony on the tree looks huge!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 02:58:17 pm »
I  moved a large swarm from a trap into a deep today.... And just now three hours later came back to get rid of the trap and put it away thinking all stragglers would have made their way to the box .... There were like 10 bees left in the trap huddled in a corner and as I shook them out 5 small hive beetles came pouring out of a crack in the bottom of the trap the bees were guarding so I got to play whack a beetle and killed them all but it was interesting to see the hive beetles corralled by the bees in the trap and the bees refusing to follow the queen to the new box and let them loose... Something new every day.https://youtu.be/3bRbTshonpA

You need to come to Northern New England. To see the middle of no where. I did enjoy your video. If I can see light poles hear car on the highway. and see a paved Road I'm pretty much in heavy population.. I do know that Northern  and maybe Central Florida does have places like this. Have a great day. It's just a matter of perception and I realize that. :wink:

Thanks again for the great video .

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:10:22 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything