Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Favorite Type of Tomato  (Read 1351 times)

Offline brookscj

• New Bee
Re: Favorite Type of Tomato
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 12:20:03 am »
I like the Cherokee purple heirloom.  Great taste and interesting color.
"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul."  Luther Burbank

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 12:38:06 am »
I just got a Cherokee purple heirloom from a friend,  I can't wait to taste it!  My favorite is the 4th of July tomato. They are packed with flavor!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 01:52:01 am »
My favorite is a nice red ripe tomato, variety depends on what you are eating it with, in or by its self.   I don't really care for fried green tomatoes but my wife does.  A good ripe tomato, fresh corn, pink eyed purple hull peas, fried okra, cornbread, maybe some squash variety, and some peppers makes a great meal with some ice tea to wash it down with.
My first set of tomatoes are just about through making, I had them ready early, they were blooming and had a few tomatoes on when it got warm enough to set them out, and in south Mississippi that is fairly early.

Good luck to you all in your gardens,

Joe D

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 10:55:35 am »
My favorite is a nice red ripe tomato, variety depends on what you are eating it with, in or by its self.   I don't really care for fried green tomatoes but my wife does.  A good ripe tomato, fresh corn, pink eyed purple hull peas, fried okra, cornbread, maybe some squash variety, and some peppers makes a great meal with some ice tea to wash it down with.
My first set of tomatoes are just about through making, I had them ready early, they were blooming and had a few tomatoes on when it got warm enough to set them out, and in south Mississippi that is fairly early.

Good luck to you all in your gardens,

Joe D

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 10:56:39 am »
That sounds like a great tasting meal.
I have a couple of Cherokee chocolates planted this year. Will have to see how the compare to Cherokee Purples.

Offline Fusion_power

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 02:53:39 am »
Before you complain about this list, check out my website.  http://www.selectedplants.com/

slicers: Brandywine (Sudduth), Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Druzba, Kelloggs Breakfast, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Bear Creek, Black From Tula, Cherokee Purple, Yoders German Yellow

Canners: Picardy, Lynnwood

Paste/Sauce: Heidi, Martino's Roma

Cherry/Grape: Hibor, Sungold, Camp Joy, Dr. Carolyn Pink, Green Grape

Heart: Kosovo, Tastiheart, Anna Russian

Hybrid: Big Beef, Ramapo, Bella Rosa

I could easily name a 30 or 40 more very good flavored tomatoes. 
47 years beekeeping, running about 20 colonies in square Dadant hives.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 11:26:24 am »
Before you complain about this list, check out my website.  http://www.selectedplants.com/

slicers: Brandywine (Sudduth), Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Druzba, Kelloggs Breakfast, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Bear Creek, Black From Tula, Cherokee Purple, Yoders German Yellow

Canners: Picardy, Lynnwood

Paste/Sauce: Heidi, Martino's Roma

Cherry/Grape: Hibor, Sungold, Camp Joy, Dr. Carolyn Pink, Green Grape

Heart: Kosovo, Tastiheart, Anna Russian

Hybrid: Big Beef, Ramapo, Bella Rosa

I could easily name a 30 or 40 more very good flavored tomatoes.

Would never complain about that list. It is a good looking list.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 11:27:27 am »
Also good looking website.

Offline MT Bee Girl

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 12:27:08 pm »
Last year a guy at out farmers market had some Black Russian heirloom tomatoes. They were the best tomatoes I've ever had!
Yvonne
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Fusion_power

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 04:00:26 pm »
Last year a guy at out farmers market had some Black Russian heirloom tomatoes. They were the best tomatoes I've ever had!
  This is a sure sign more tomatoes of more varieties need to be sampled.  I rate Black Russian 7.5 on a scale 1 to 10.  Brandywine sometimes gets to 9.5.  I have an experimental breeding line that can hit 10.
47 years beekeeping, running about 20 colonies in square Dadant hives.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 06:10:44 pm »
I really like my brandywine but I also like an oxheart orange a lot. Of the two I like the oxheart orange probably better but have a harder time growing it.

Offline paus

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 08:34:50 pm »
Most of you are talking about varieties that I have tried with very little luck, except for sungold I do much better with celebrity, better boy, and heatwave.  I tried Wild boar and this was the best tasting of all for the 2 or 3 I got eat  before blossom end rot took its toll.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 08:50:43 pm »
Anything you grow is better than anything you buy even if it came from HD.  Although I have heard people say the blight came from the box stores.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 09:40:12 am »
Anything you grow is better than anything you buy even if it came from HD.  Although I have heard people say the blight came from the box stores.

I heard that also but I buy some  better boys and a few others most years and they seem to do ok, especially the heirlooms. I grow most of mine from seed though.