Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garden updates.  (Read 22427 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Garden updates.
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »
One's about 5 and the other two are about two. The younger two hasn't had any fruit yet.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2016, 07:32:50 pm »
Most gardens up here are toast but we have peppers we have yet to harvest, beets and brussel sprouts,cabbage and still some more tomatoes.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2016, 09:06:10 am »
Mine are both two. I got them from Petals from the Past. I thinking I am going to go back up there on the 16th for a few hours mainly to stroll my son and to also look at persimmon trees.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2016, 09:51:10 am »
With this heavy drought I have lost one blueberry bush out of the three I planted this year and one of 8 blackberry bushes. I count that as not to shabby

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 05:12:22 pm »
Well into autumn down under, the only thing left in my vegie garden is some peppers and jalapenos. Tomatoes have been finished for over a month. Different story at the farm 20 miles away, you would think an extra 1500 feet in elevation and cooler temps would mean a shorter season but while they take longer to start producing they keep producing for longer.
Plants are heavy with fruit and still flowering well over 6' high and beautiful and lush, picked over 100lbs last week.

Chestnuts are going strong as well

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2017, 10:06:58 am »
Looking nice. I am just planting my garden now. I am kinda behind this year. I only ahve 19 tomatoes planted and 12 pepper plants. I have some beans and green beans planted with one row of radishes. My asparagus have come up but I have done nothing with it this year I am sad to say.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2017, 04:50:05 pm »
220, are those grafted tomato plants? They are huge!
Just got my spring garden in here (peas, radishes, carrots, Kale, beets, onions).
In the house Tomato?s were up-potted, eggplant, basil, rosemary all up and getting ready to raise the light stand a notch.
Fruit trees are getting a little late but did some grafting for a coworker yesterday.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2017, 05:50:37 pm »
220, are those grafted tomato plants? They are huge!
Just got my spring garden in here (peas, radishes, carrots, Kale, beets, onions).
In the house Tomato?s were up-potted, eggplant, basil, rosemary all up and getting ready to raise the light stand a notch.
Fruit trees are getting a little late but did some grafting for a coworker yesterday.

What kind of tomatoes? I can't remember my varieties except for brandywine and Cherokee purple.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »
Lets see if I can do a cut and paste from my excel spread sheet:
started seeds: eggplant in 3" square pots, added cherry tomato's (sweety) since I did not have enough trays set up.  Tray 1: Tomato:Martino Roma (MR) Siletz (sil), Legend (Leg). Tray 2: Wopper (W), Sungold (SG), Stupice, Red Brandywine, Oregon Spring, Beefsteak

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2017, 08:17:19 pm »
Not 100% on the varieties mainly from seed mum kept from last year. 3 varieties of cherry tomatoes, yellow pear, one that looks like a mini black russian and a red. A few romas and a heirloom variety that produces a large pear size and shaped red fruit.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:57 am »
Not 100% on the varieties mainly from seed mum kept from last year. 3 varieties of cherry tomatoes, yellow pear, one that looks like a mini black russian and a red. A few romas and a heirloom variety that produces a large pear size and shaped red fruit.

I always enjoy a good brandywine but in general I prefer the black tomatoes but I do hear that for fresh eating that orange tomatoes are the best.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2017, 09:59:21 am »
Best as in healthiest.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2017, 06:41:48 pm »
My wife has her opinion on what a tomato should and will look like. Black ones look like end rot and she will neither pick or eat them.
Sungold is by far the best small (cherry tomato) there is. She relates it to Pear tomato's and insist I grow the small red Sweety. Side by side nobody would pick the Sweety but I still an required to grow some.
The nice thing about tomatoes is that the seed lasts forever. Each year I pick up a new packet of a variety. I only plant about 3 seeds of each variety per year an that gives me about 9 types of tomatoes for about $2 a year.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2017, 07:57:37 pm »
My wife has her opinion on what a tomato should and will look like.
That is why we have so many bad choices in the supermarket.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2017, 09:05:39 am »
My wife has her opinion on what a tomato should and will look like. Black ones look like end rot and she will neither pick or eat them.
Sungold is by far the best small (cherry tomato) there is. She relates it to Pear tomato's and insist I grow the small red Sweety. Side by side nobody would pick the Sweety but I still an required to grow some.
The nice thing about tomatoes is that the seed lasts forever. Each year I pick up a new packet of a variety. I only plant about 3 seeds of each variety per year an that gives me about 9 types of tomatoes for about $2 a year.

That is rough sorry about that. Yeah some people just want a red bland tomato. Cherry tomatoes are my favorite as they are just the easiest for me to eat. Tomatoes could be my favorite food and I like them just about anyway they are grown or served when in season.,

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2017, 09:06:04 am »
My wife has her opinion on what a tomato should and will look like.
That is why we have so many bad choices in the supermarket.

I have heard that they have made improvements with a tomato called the Tasti-Lee

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:38 pm »
Went down and looked at my tree grafts. All but one of the apples has green growth on it. The apricots whips are all new growth (not unwrapped the buds yet). My parson Prunes to the Italian and big red went 0%. Going to have to see if I need to do something different for a Parsons prune. I am told my pears at one location went 95% but I have not visited to see.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2017, 05:35:09 pm »
I have heard that they have made improvements with a tomato called the Tasti-Lee

They are chemically treated, picked green and bounced half way around the country before they get here.  No way they can compete with what comes out of my garden.  Not even the locally grown.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:30 am »

They are chemically treated, picked green and bounced half way around the country before they get here.  No way they can compete with what comes out of my garden.  Not even the locally grown.

I agree. Nothing can compete with a fresh tomato from the garden. I just hope they are an improvement on the regular store bought tomato. I heard they have a lot of lycopene in them also.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2017, 09:48:06 am »
If you want lycopene make sauce and add olive oil.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything