ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Nasty ground nesting stinging insects

(1/3) > >>

Eric Bosworth:
I was picking blueberries with my wife this morning (our bushes are about 30 feet from the house) and suddenly she yelled "Gunner no! run!" I looked over and he had dug up a nest. Very unhappy stinging insects flying out all over the place.
When Gunner was a puppy my sister told him to find his inner cat. Now I blame my sister for him going crazy after mice and rodents when I take him hunting. It is kind of annoying. I think he heard them and had to investigate. In the past he never had the ground attack when he dug.
So my questions are what is this and more importantly what is the best way to eradicate them?
On a positive note, my wife who is afraid of, and doesn't like my bees said I'll take your bees over all the other bugs we have here any day. I have to agree but it was really nice to hear her say it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fishing-Nut:
It's hard for me to tell in the picture. But it looks like a bald faced Hornet. I've never seen them nest in the ground though. But I would imagine it may happen from time to time. Regardless of what they are......if it were me, some gas dumped into the hole usually always works and that's what I'd do..... Just be mindful with the gas, and remember that those hornets can be real real nasty when they get ticked off. Ask me how I know!! 😵😬😵😬

Eric Bosworth:
I kind of thought that too but I didn't expect them to be in the ground. I think I am going to burn some paper tonight right above them.

iddee:
If you use gas, don't light it. The fumes are what kills. If burned, it will only be hot above ground and leave the nest safe. Just dump a cup of gas in the hole after dark and go back to the house.

PS. It is illegal to pour gas on the ground, so don't advertise that you did it.

Eric Bosworth:

--- Quote from: iddee on July 23, 2017, 07:43:58 pm ---If you use gas, don't light it. The fumes are what kills. If burned, it will only be hot above ground and leave the nest safe. Just dump a cup of gas in the hole after dark and go back to the house.

PS. It is illegal to pour gas on the ground, so don't advertise that you did it.

--- End quote ---
It's illegal to turn left on a red arrow but that never stops me... I do wait for oncoming traffic but when nobody is coming who cares? It is also illegal to shoot geese with lead out of season but that hasn't stopped me either... I even shared the "free range all natural organic dog treets" with a state trooper's German Shorthair Pointer.
My problem with gas is I don't want to kill the blueberry bush it is under. I also found that they have a back door. Would I need to dump it in both holes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version