Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A riddle  (Read 1849 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
A riddle
« on: April 03, 2019, 02:11:31 pm »
A man goes to the hospital to visit someone there. The nurse tells him, "Sir, only immediate family members are allowed to visit this patient"

To which the man replies, "Brothers and Sister have I none. But this man's father is my father's son."

Did they let him in? ... and what was his relation (if any) to the patient?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: A riddle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:20:18 pm »
I don't know if they let him in... but they should.

Well... Let's identify the people.  We have the speaker and the patient.  So the speaker says the patient is the son of a son of the speaker's father.  If he said nothing else that would make him either a nephew or a son.  But since the speaker says he has no brothers or sisters, that would narrow it to one possibility which is that the patient is the speaker's son.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 06:23:53 pm »
You got it.  :grin:

It's a fun one to give to kids, and watch their heads wrap around it.  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 12:27:36 am »
 :cheesy:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 09:25:23 am »
The one I used to hear when I was a kid was the riddle "There is a man.  He is not my brother or sister, but he is my father's son.  Who is he?"  Which is a somewhat similar riddle.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything