Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Salute to MagicValley!!
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 12:10:35 pm »
Maybe I should have put this in the Humor section but I think it is so cool! I noticed one of our fellow members, MagicValey, is online. Under his personal text, right under his picture is written: "We who are about to bee stung, Salute You!" lol I love it!

MagicValley, if you read this, I salute you Sir!   :grin: :wink:

Phillip
"And while I am at it I think I would love to find a refrigerated beekeeping jacket and veil, yeah the older I get the more I like my comfort."

On the hot days the venerated Jacket is nice to have, especially if there is a  breeze blowing. When its really hot I will bring a fan along on my inspections...
DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING / Re: Varroa in the subtropics
« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 12:00:11 pm »
Max,
Bee careful with this product. It bought it in 2012. I did a test run with one of my empty hives. After just one day I had a big hole in the screen top board and the screen bottom board.
If this was 2012 that you had this experience, Jim, then that wasn't FormicPro, it was Mite Away Quicks Strips.  MAQS was the precursor to FormicPro and had a different formulation.  I used MAQS the last year it was available around here, before it was replaced by FormicPro, which I think happened in like 2020, and MAQS was much less nice of a product.  Also it now says on the FormicPro instructions not to use screened covers during a treatment, although screened bottom boards are fine as long as the entrance is fully open and the insert is in.  I have mostly screened bottom boards, and I've never had any trouble with it.   

How many hives do you have?

I have 10 hives.

Does the product come as a bulk pack ( looking for savings :grin:)
I think I have seen bulk purchasing available on their website or from big bee suppliers.  I don't know what the deal with shipping to Australia would be, but I'm sure you could find out.  The company that makes it is called NOD Apiary Products, here is their website.  https://nodglobal.com/
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Canadian beekeeper
« Last post by beesnweeds on Today at 11:56:11 am »
I never watched a complete video by Ian, just bits and pieces.  Mostly listened to him on a few webinars.  His family started a 3500 acre grain and cattle farm in the 1920s.  Very hard working family.  So, he had the resources to get started.   I have no idea if he makes money beekeeping but maybe in combination with Youtube views, he seems to add some drama to his videos.
Today I moved three more swarms to their new home in my yard, fed the rest of this years swarm catches and put second deep honey super on four colonies.

I can see now that I am going to need to re-queen at some point all my bees are feral caught and while good producers they are mean as snot. As I accumulate more colonies the time I spent in the bee yard is starting to stretch out there and I think I might appreciate a calmer bee.

And while I am at it I think I would love to find a refrigerated beekeeping jacket and veil, yeah the older I get the more I like my comfort.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Canadian beekeeper
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 11:41:10 am »
Max I am assuming your are referring to Ian Stephler? We have another very successful beekeeper here. TheHoneyPump who lives in the far North of Canada. He as actually posted some interesting things which pretty much covers the points of your questions here. I highly recommend you going back and checking out his post. He is like a walking bee keeping encyclopedia! :grin:
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Bee Behaviors
« Last post by beesnweeds on Today at 11:23:00 am »
Do the scouts come back loaded or empty?

Empty, scout bees are looking for a new home before and after swarming.  When a swarm bivouacs in a nearby tree scouts will return to the swarm and waggle dance the location of the new cavity.  Tom Seeleys "Honeybee Democracy" goes into detail about bees choosing a new location.  Foragers on the other hand will bring back resources and share location if it's a productive source.   Tom Seeley just released a new book "Piping Hot Bees and Boisterous Buzz Runners".  I think what you may be seeing are buzz runners.  I didnt get the book yet.  The strangest form of communication to me is pre swarm and you can hear queens piping with workers and queens in cells replying.
Les,
Two questions.
What software do you use for designing your cutting and engraving?
Have you tried to engrave your logo directly onto the canning lids?
Jim Altmiller
Losing a phone is a big deal today but I remember when we didn't even have them, except for the one on the leash on the kitchen wall. However, party lines were before my phone using days.
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM / Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Last post by Salvo on Today at 07:59:14 am »
Hi Les,

Take a metal detector. :wink:

Sal
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10