Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nasty rooster  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Nasty rooster
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »
managed to end up with one and he has to go.  i'm thinking-night time-fishing net-beach towel-cage...someones dinner.

anyone have any words of wisdom?  i'm already going in with gloves and face protection.  he's put holes in a couple of us and i don't want to take any chances on him really hurting someone.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
Re: Nasty rooster
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:59:50 pm »
I would think a nasty tempered rooster is no more worth keeping than a Queen that produces nasty tempered bees.  Unless you need the protection from predators.
can you open your coop to get easy access to top roost?  if yes , then night time, fishing net combo is my suggestion.  if you are in an area you can safely shoot a gun, maybe close the house in the morning after he walks out and before the hens come out.   :chop:

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:32:12 pm »
Walk up to the roost, grab legs with left hand, neck with right. Jerk with left hand and snap neck. Do it well and the head will come off.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:36:32 pm »
he respects the spay bottle with the ammonia in it.  it's just that no one else wants to deal with him.  since i got some new chicks, i'm thinning the old out.  he's going along with a couple of hens that don't lay anymore.  yeah, i could kill him here, but i can take him to the feed store and someone can have him for dinner.  i really, really, hate plucking chickens.  have not had to since i was a teen, but that smell comes back to me when i think about it.   :-P
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:20:37 pm »
Something about a stupid chicken(rooster). You can beat them half to death and in fifteen seconds they'll be back for more.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:09:45 am »
A dip net is hard to beat to catch chickens.  Night is usually easy if you can get to where they roost, of course.  Certainly the only solution I've found to a mean rooster is to cut their throat.  They are much better behaved after that...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 01:49:24 pm »
Be carefull with these, a few years ago a friend got spurred in his leg, wound up with a 500.$ dr. bill, the rooster did not survive the attack..

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:40:12 pm »
thanks guys.  i don't think it's going to be to hard to catch him at night.  he roosts in the perfect spot.  the reason i'm taking him to the feed store is that we have various immigrant populations that are not intimidated by nasty birds and make good use of them.  i'd just as soon give them away to someone who will eat them.  and...if they do something else with him...well, that's what he seems to like anyway.....

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 09:52:51 pm »
The last really fierce rooster I had would spur you when you had your back to him.  I was working the shovel one day and already had it with him when he picked his last fight.  It is amazing what you can do with a shovel to a rooster. 

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 02:18:26 pm »
i really, really, hate plucking chickens

Never plucked one myself. Looked at it and decided skinning was the way to go. I don't eat the skin anyway.

Offline hivebuilder

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 06:43:46 pm »
a 4 foot piece of heavy wire #8 or#9 clothes line . bend a hook on one end - wide opening 2 in, narrow end- leg sized oval handle on other end . catch any chicken . when they are upside down there isn't much fight left in them. olehunter   hate chickens.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »
caught, caged, and gone.   :-D

Offline Pam G

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:54:37 pm »
 X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X
The jasmine was blooming and the bees looked as though they were stitching flowers together with invisible silken thread.  Pat Conroy  Beach Music

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 11:35:10 am »
I had a silver duck wing once that was really mean. He wouldnt quit either . My neighbor thought he was so cute she gave me 10.00 for him. He would pound on a pantleg for hours if you let him . Ha

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 01:54:44 pm »
Nothing fixes a mean rooster like a pressure cooker.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 03:28:56 pm »
Ummmm... dumplings.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 08:08:45 pm »
and gravey

anything