Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee hives and ants?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
Bee hives and ants?
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:51:59 pm »
New hive, notices some ants on it today.  Didnt open it up, ant numbers werent that bad.  We put cinemon around the legs to help repel the ants, snd put vasceline/petrolium jelly on the legs on the hive stand...

Whats the real fix for ants???

They werent fire ants, just some other small kind of ant..

Online cao

• Super Bee
Re: Bee hives and ants?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:46:34 am »
Ants in the hive with bees are a bad thing.  Ants on the hive is not a big deal.  If I don't keep the inner cover dusted with cinnamon, the ants will find shelter between inner and top cover.  I just brush them off. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:50:51 am »
I have had huge colonies of ants on top of the inner cover.  They did not appear to do any harm to the bees.  I just shoveled them off with my hive tool every other day for a few days until they gave up.  The type of ant and where the hives are located makes all the difference.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:36:01 am »
Whats the real fix for ants??? After trials and errors I ended up having my hive stand legs sitting in burnt motor oil in a container sitting on a cement block. This has been more of a permanent fix. Cooking oil evaporated to quick, and they built bridges over the water.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:42:40 am »
Whats the real fix for ants??? After trials and errors I ended up having my hive stand legs sitting in burnt motor oil in a container sitting on a cement block. This has been more of a permanent fix. Cooking oil evaporated to quick, and they built bridges over the water.

Thanks for this. I don't have the problem at the moment but could in the future.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:23:07 pm »
Vaseline on the bottom of the legs..........haven't seen one ant since
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.