Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it okay to feed honey exposed to PDB fumes?  (Read 4709 times)

Offline kenner

• New Bee
Is it okay to feed honey exposed to PDB fumes?
« on: November 16, 2017, 05:34:39 pm »
Hello,

I've been behind on many aspects, being a new beekeeper....

I pulled honey, very late... so then, the bees kept making honey and capped 3 full frames and a couple uncapped, which I was going to leave them. (I have 7 frames of bees in the bottom deep and ~5 frames of bees on the top.

So, being late with everything, including my Fall, Varroa treatment.

I pulled the Western, honey super off, Nov 1st and started feeding Fumagillin for Nosema and will continue the feeding through until the hive has taken in enough.

The pulled honey frames, w/honey: I put them atop two other Westerns and combed frames. I put a PDB (moth disc) at the bottom and have the Western, with the honey at the top. I only opened the moth disc packaging, just a bit, not fully.

I know that PDB is heavier than air... and the disk is in the bottom box, in the garage.

I've read that PDB is readily absorbed into the honey and makes it unfit for human consumption... And that some kinds of fumes will prevent the bees from using the honey.

Should I just let this box of honey air out for a day, or ??,,, Or can I feed them this honey/their honey?

Thank you! Ken

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Is it okay to feed honey exposed to PDB fumes?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:36:41 pm »
1st of all, welcome to Beemaster.
Not sure what the chemical makeup of PDB. If is the same as moth balls, then it is poisonous to your bees, period. If it is moth crystals then it can be aired out. Not sure if it is absorbed in the honey. Maybe Michael will know.
What are your temperatures right now? I would think the moths would be done until spring.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kenner

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:32:08 pm »
Day time temps of 49 to 57 degrees for the next 10 days, but mostly 51+.  My girlzz fly and even have been bringing back pollen in cool temps.

PDB= p-DichloroBenzene  Here's the product:  http://enozhome.com/product/moth-cake/
This is the same ingredient as in Para Moth.

The Western with the honey is above two other Westerns and the slightly-opened moth cake is at the bottom and the PDB is heavier than air.

Offline kenner

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:07 am »
I understand that it's not recommended for human consumption..
BUT, would it be toxic to my bees?
I can't find much info on this.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:59:46 pm »
It is the same ingredients that is in moth crystals.  Both of them are toxic to bees but not if you allow the comb to air out for a week before you use it. Test have found that small amounts end up in the wax.
Here are the moth crystals.
http://enozhome.com/product/moth-ice-crystals/
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kenner

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 04:19:51 pm »
It's the same ingredient as in Para Moth, sold by bee supply stores and are NOT napthalene, which will definitely kill bees.

https://glorybee.com/wax-moth-crystals