MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM )))

ruled on Monday that people are required to identify themsel

(1/3) > >>

BigRog:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A divided U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) ruled on Monday that people are required to identify themselves when asked to do so by police, and rejected arguments that it violates their constitutional rights to privacy and to remain silent.

By a 5-4 vote, the high court upheld a Nevada law that officers may detain individuals to find out their identity, based on reasonable suspicions of wrongdoing. People must identify themselves, but cannot be required to answer any other questions.

The ruling was a victory for the U.S. Justice Department (news - web sites) and state officials who said forced identification represented a "minimal" intrusion on privacy rights, helped solve crimes and contributed to police and public safety.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...urt_police_dc_1

And to celebrate this fine momment in constitutional history, the supreme court has announce the issue of a commemerative toilet paper

Here is a pic of the new toilet paper design

Beth Kirkley:
I remember reading something about this months ago - the whole argument on it that is.
My feelings are: if you don't want to say who you are, fine, just get yourself hauled off to jail till the police figure it out on their own. :)

The way I see it is - if you can't simply tell the police your name, you're probably hiding something. I have seen all through my life people who scream about privacy - on their property, in their home, in their lives. They were also the same people that were doing illegal activity. Now sure, I don't want the government or police (or army) to have a right to take over my home. Like if there was a civil war, I wouldn't want to be continually harrassed or to have my home taken over for a base. But if the police want to know my name, see my home, search my property - no problem. I've got nothing I need to have hidden.
And I will say there are limits to my willingness to show my home. I wouldn't want the rumored camera in the tv thing. But, still again, my reason is because I have something to hide. I might just be wanting to run around my house nekid' and don't want that seen. :) (Like THAT happens all the time. LOL)

--- Quote ---John 3:20  "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
John 3:21  "But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."
--- End quote ---

Only reason a person needs privacy is if they have something to hide. Privacy has it's place, but not giving your name to the police is just plain dumb in my book.

Beth

beefree:
the issue is not whether or not i have anything i wish to hide (my family gave up the moonshine still a while back).  The real issue is whether or not the gov't has the right to require me to give them any information.  They don't.  For that matter, they don't have the right to tax my income, but that's another fire ring spew...  and yes, despite their lack of any right to demand these things of me, i still do obey the laws... but ONLY because of Romans 13:1-2.  And i'm still mad about having to obey the speed limit since i read that.
beefree

Beth Kirkley:
LOL It's for the best beefree, and you know it. :)

We all know there has to be rules of some sort. From the begining of time there were rules. Now granted, we've been breaking them that long too, but we still need them. About the only law I can think of right off that I don't agree with is that pot is illegal. I don't personally smoke it, and have often really disliked some people that did. But I do know it can have good medicinal effects for people. And for that reason I wish they could have it without a problem.
But I think the rest of the laws I agree with pretty well.

Beth

snowzerdog:
The ten commandments I think covers the way we should act.   Think about it you can read every law that we have into those ten.  But yes the bible does say we still have to obey mans law,  But wasn't Jesus a radical also  The only laws I disagree with are victimless laws.  i.e.  Pot,  consenual sex between adults, womans right to birth control   What goes on behind the closed doors of my house are of no concern to anyone as long as no one is hurt or being hurt.  I may not agree with some of the weird things people do but if it does'nt affect my life I don't worry about it. I am not my brothers keeper.  I will not judge anyone.  That is up tp God.  Now I know some of you will probably nitpick at what I say, But that is your opinion and I don't have to agree as this is my  opinion.  And the saying goes, Opinions are like as*holes we all have one. :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version