MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > TV SHOWS

GunSmoke & Rawhide

(1/4) > >>

Ben Framed:
GunSmoke was a popular TV series beginning in the 1950s. Reruns are still aired today. I would guess most every American has seen the TV Program GunSmoke at least once, if not a full episode, at least you might know what it is  and what it is about. Has any one ever wondered why Doc Adams office was located where it was?

A horse runs off with someone, they fall, hit their head on a rock and they are by a miracle found out in the middle of nowhere, carted into town in the back of a buck board wagon, then heaved and hauled UP the stairs by their arms and legs to the office. Or a rattle snake bite and the same senecio! Wouldn?t it have been much easier, if Doc Adams would have located his office downstairs? Of course he never did the heaving. It was always the good citizens! lol   :shocked: :cheesy:

The15thMember:
My sister talks about this all the time, how everyone who needs help has to be dragged up Doc's steps.  My bet is that Doc just can't afford a street-level apartment.  He's not getting rich taking care of all those people, you know!  :grin: 

Ben Framed:

--- Quote ---He's not getting rich taking care of all those people, you know!  :grin:
--- End quote ---

So true! Especially when one fellow paid him with a chicken lol! Try that today!  :oops: :cheesy:

The15thMember:
My sister hurt her leg yesterday, so she and I have been hanging out in the living room today with nothing to do, since she shouldn't really be walking around and I'm her designated caretaker.  As a result, we ended up trying out different old western TV shows all day, and comparing and contrasting them to Gunsmoke, which is now and will always be like our favorite TV show ever.  To be fair though, as far as westerns go, we have only ever watched Gunsmoke, so even though we know that nothing will ever be as good, we decided to take this opportunity to give other things a try. 

First we watched an episode of Bonanza, which we were kind of meh on.  The episode was season 2 episode 32, I believe.  We just didn't find the whole premise very engaging.  We didn't really connect with any of the characters, and we didn't enjoy the music or set design choices, although it was nicely remastered.  We also found the plot to be pretty riddled with holes, mostly caused by the fact that the plot wanted the main characters to catch some bank robbers, and none of the main characters are lawmen, so their was a lot of convenient or senseless decisions being made by the robbers to facilitate it.  I've heard that Bonanza is more of a character interaction show than an action show though, so maybe this works better in episode with less of an action-based plot.  We'll probably give it another try, since you never know if you came in on a wonky episode, but we were underwhelmed. 

Next we watched on episode of Wagon Train.  We liked this better.  We liked Chris, the Wagonmaster.  He seemed to be respectable and a man of good integrity, and it seemed like the show could get pretty good mileage out of the premise.  I think the episode was from season 3, and the story was well-rounded and had a pretty solid mixture of humor and seriousness.  There was one character who was a little hokey for our taste, but we couldn't tell if he was a series regular or not from this story.  We weren't hooked, but we'd definitely turn it on again if there is nothing else on. 

After Wagon Train was over, and episode of Rawhide came on.  It was an episode from season one.  We have actually been wanting to try Rawhide since we are familiar with Clint Eastwood, and we really liked it.  We liked all the characters and the tone, which is very similar to Gunsmoke.  The plot was very mature, the story was very full, and it had an unexpected twist at the end.  The only difficulty we had was that Gil and Pete look really similar, and we had difficulty telling them apart, and also Gil's voice is really deep and doesn't match his face.  Also weirdly, we liked looking at all the cows throughout the show, like just picking out ones that were different colors, and seeing the cowboys work with them, it was just kind of fun.  We'll definitely be watching more in the future. 

But it's back to our favorite, Gunsmoke tonight, in fact we'll probably watch one we've already seen while we eat supper, and a new one later on.   :cool:       

Kathyp:
Try High Chaparral if you have not.  Always been one of my favorites.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version