MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > BOOKS and AUDIOBOOKS

Book Ideas to Increase Reading Level

(1/4) > >>

The15thMember:
My 14 year old sister is currently in that unfortunate dead zone of reading where children's books are too easy for her, but her vocabulary isn't quite large enough to read adult literature yet.  I've been searching and searching for some quality teen or easy adult books for her to up her reading level, and I'm not finding anything.  Anyone have any ideas?   

Ben Framed:
Badger Boy by Elmer Kelton

The boy in the book would be about her age. Based on Texas historical fiction. Good for any one male or female, any age 14 up in my opinion.

Michael Bush:
Read them even if your vocabulary isn't up to it.  It soon will be.  If you don't know a word but the sentence makes enough sense without it, keep going.  If it's obvious that the meaning of that word is essential to undertanding it, look it up.  It's SO easy to look things up today with the internet...

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on December 11, 2020, 06:06:48 pm ---Read them even if your vocabulary isn't up to it.  It soon will be.  If you don't know a word but the sentence makes enough sense without it, keep going.  If it's obvious that the meaning of that word is essential to undertanding it, look it up.  It's SO easy to look things up today with the internet...

--- End quote ---
She knows about using context clues and she'll frequently come to me with words she doesn't know.  I did try just throwing her to the big leagues; she struggled through some of Hawthorne's "Twice Told Tales", and I gave her Little Women, but she's having too much trouble with overall comprehension to enjoy it, so she just bumped back down.  I need something that has some words she doesn't know, but not so many that she can't get everything out of the book. 

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on December 11, 2020, 05:27:55 pm ---Badger Boy by Elmer Kelton

The boy in the book would be about her age. Based on Texas historical fiction. Good for any one male or female, any age 14 up in my opinion.

--- End quote ---
Phillip, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, an adult book that could be a good read for a younger audience.  I'm not sure if she'll be into a western or not (she doesn't love cowboys like I do :happy:), but I'll see if she's interested in it.  And if she's not, I certainly am!     

Ben Framed:
Even though this particular book is a western location wise, it?s not about cowboys as we might think. Is is based of the very early settlers. Badger Boy is a young boy that has been taken by Comanches at a very young age and retrieved a few years after a raid. The raiders were tracked down and Badger Boy...... Anyway, it is more of an early Texas Ranger type situation, based of facts but added fiction classified as western fiction. I assure you once she reads the first chapter she will be hooked and eager to read more and more and more lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version