Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Re-newed passion  (Read 3213 times)

Offline ApisNovus

• New Bee
Re-newed passion
« on: February 01, 2008, 09:12:03 am »
Everything was different (and better)  we when we were teens, hanging with father looks different idealized and fresh. Especially, when the age turns our hair into "salt-n-pepper", when we recall our parents who passed away long time ago more often, I recall them almost every night.
My father was a beekeeper.
6 months ago, I had a meeting with one of my customer from British Columbia, and he mentioned that he is a hobby bee-keeper. He started enthusiastically telling me stories about his bees, honey, queens etc... Suddenly the odor of my father bee shop hit my nose, I felt smell of wax bases and honey... I felt tickled walking of bees over my hands, when I took a first time my gloves off,  and my father was smiling being so proud of me...  Since that, I could not stop thinking to have my own hives.
Many things I remember, many things I don't, and still need to learn.
1) We had different bees, I remember it was so call Carpathian Bees. We knew about Caucasian, Italian and Mid-Russian. My father has chosen Carpathian bees because we lived there. I remember he always told that the most successful could be only bees that adapted the territory for many generations.
2) Our dadant hive looked more solid, with entrances in each deep box and 2 insulation sectors inside for the winter time.
3) I read and I am still reading everything possible from our American (preferably local) sources about beekeeping since my father always read literature about beekeeping.
4) I bought 3 hives from Dadant Inc. 1 was a full kit and 2 hive I assembled myself. They are waiting to be painted.
5) I bought from a local beekeeper 3 nukes wit Italian Bees and Russian queen, so  I expect to get my bees in the beginning of May.
I want to get my shot.  I hope this forum will be helpful and I could read more how to succeed with my bees.
 I have  a single house, and only 2 neighbors. It is about 0.5 acres of backyard. Also I have a small natural pond in my backyard, so my bees should not go to catch water somewhere else. One of my concerns is that the "culture" who prefers to have rather Maple Syrup on their pancakes will never accept honey. One thing I noticed that our american fellows have much more paranoia for bees than in the Europe. Let see...
Hopefully we will all survive (bees and me).

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Re-newed passion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:15:35 am »
Great story of You and your Dad, he will be with you in spirit I am sure while you work your bees, He is smiling down on you today, for sure! Its great you are getting back into it, enjoy your new journey!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:18:18 am »
Welcome aboard. Looks like we have another BC beekeeper. That will thrill Cindi to no end. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:46:34 am »
Brendhan, not too sure ApisNovus is from Canada, he mentioned "one of his customers from British Columbia",  didn't get a feel that he may be Canadian, unless I missed something here, and yes, if he was from B.C., how cool, hee, hee.

ApisNovus.  You painted such a beautiful story of your Father, you and beekeeping, how lovely.  You are a very good and descriptive writer, nice you took us into this part of your life.

So....take us deeper....where do you live, I know you probably don't want to seem to everyone that you are "hopelessly lost".  That is the "area" of the world that the forum assigns to new members that do not put their location in their profile, hee, hee  ;) :) :)

Anyways, I have already welcomed you, but I will welcome you again, you will indeed find this a great place to spend some time.  We have some very funnnnnnneeeee forum members here, lots of people that have been keeping bees since the beginning of time itself,  :-D :shock: and lots of new beekeepers too.  Welcome, have a great and wonderful day, I'm lovin' this life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ApisNovus

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:53:13 pm »
I live within 7 miles from Boston. Sorry, guys if you did not here my yankee accent  :evil:

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 01:43:23 pm »
Yeah Boston is definitly not BC. ;)

That's okay you are still welcome on the forums. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 02:17:46 pm »
If he was near Cindi, he would probably get a nice duck dinner, which just would not be right.  :-D

.......JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:59:40 pm »
add your location and you'll be all set for some great advice for cold weather beekeeping! I recently found out the person who built my house(1951) kept bees on my property! Traditions come in all manner.Welcome!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline ApisNovus

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:40:19 pm »
Thanks folks for warm welcoming.

anything