Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Forum member distribution  (Read 21619 times)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Forum member distribution
« on: June 14, 2004, 11:17:02 am »
Hi!

I'm reading this forum daily, and as I was a bit unproductive in my master thesis work today, I did something completely different: I have been a bit curious about where all you guys came from.  Most of you have written your location in the member profile, but I thought it would be interresting to see the distribution on a map.  I have gone through the member list and made two maps.  (I don't believe I have misplaced any of you, but in case you find an error, please tell me).
(Click on them for a fullsize version)

Here is a map with the distribution of the US members:

Interresting to see the Rocky mountains as a "blind spot" on the map, but besides of that "line" through the country, it looks like you've got the map almost covered, John.

And here is a map with the distribution of all the members on a world map:

I am the lonely guy in Norway by the way. :-)

Would be nice to see even more non-US members as it is interresting to learn about different ways of beekeeping., and I'm looking forward to see this forum grow even more.

eivindm

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 11:34:27 am »
That is SOOO cool!!! John's going to be thrilled! Good JOB!!

Beth

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 01:09:58 pm »
John is Thrilled :)

Very cool - fine job and it really puts the membership spectrum into prospective. First... We need some African and Russian Beekeepers - and I counted about 6 states without members - whatsup wid dat - lol.

Great Job!!!! I hope that MORE MEMBERS SUPPLY THEIR LOCATION - rough count, I see 50 members that CAN NOT be accounted for because they haven't suppied their location.

TONIGHT I WILL SEND A MASS EMAIL - requestion that members add their location, but MOST of the people who haven't added their location are probably also the same people who DON'T POST in the forum, they just read or they have moved on to other places  :shock:  whatsup wid dat too lolol

Thanks for this GREAT visual aid - very interesting, and HOPEFULLY - after the emailing, we'll get more stats for that poll, very cool to see the maps vs. members, thanks eivindm - very very cool!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 03:36:37 pm »
Very nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 11:57:59 pm »
I like the map! Its a neat idea :P
Bee Boy

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 12:07:29 am »
Great Idea!
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 10:50:52 pm »
Very Nice Job
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Updated maps
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 09:12:10 am »
Just a short notice:  The maps are now updated (with the same links as in the first  post).  The states with no current members are now marked with a red star. The counting has been done automaticly by a Perl script, which also placed the numbers in the maps.  So there should be little room for counting errors :-)  There are 7 new members since the last posting.  

I will now update the maps regularily (as the work is minimized with the new scripts I made), but I won't make any new update notices here unless there are some big changes.  The future updates will have the same URL as before.

eivindm

Offline celtic

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 07:29:38 pm »
Yes Eivindm you did misplace me :lol:
Just kidding but seriously this would be nice to know you will need to update this periodically.

Offline celtic

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 07:34:04 pm »
Yes Eivindm you did misplace me :lol:
Just kidding but seriously this would be nice to know you will need to update this periodically.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 09:56:20 pm »
Didn't see you come in Celtic, Welcome.
eivindm is planning to keep it updated.
He did a fantastic job on this without being asked.

And whos the third guy from Virginia?
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 01:27:17 pm »
Hi Celtic!

See we've got some new members since my update before the weekend.  Will update the maps on Monday.

And BigRog:  I can show you the last member in Virginia :-)  Can make a list with all the members sorted by states and countries.  Not much programming to create such lists.  And with such a list it will be easier to spot errors and report them to me :-)

I'm home today, and all the scripts are at the University's computers.  Will make the state sorted list and an update of the maps with the new members including Celtic tomorrow :-)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 07:41:44 am »
Celtic:  You're now within the distribution maps :-)  Just updated them.

BigRog:  Here you can find a list of all the members sorted by state/country.  Now you can find the third guy in Virginia :-)
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~eivindm/diverse/beebbs/beemaster_stats.txt

eivindm

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 03:10:41 pm »
That is so amazing to see. I really love it! And I hadn't realized there were 8 of us now in Georgia on the forum.

You got one mixed up though. I don't know if a computer did it up for you, or if you had to type it all. But anyway, it should be an easy fix. It was Bupalos, in NE Ohio. It showed up in Nebraska. But easily confused because Nebraska's abriviation is NE. But anywho, they're in North East OHIO.

Great JOB, again. :)

Beth

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 09:27:35 am »
Thanks for the error notice, Beth!  

It was a programming error.  It looked for the state abbr. first (i.e. NE matched Nebraska before it looked for matching the full statename).  Now it does the opposite, and matches ohio before NE could match.  The script tries to match itself, and warns me of unmatched locations, which I handle manually (but just once, not each time I run the script).  I now checked the whole list again manually to see if there where any more errors, and spotted two other persons that were misplaced.  That is also fixed, and the list should now be ok.  But please tell me about other errors if you find any.  

I have one location by the way which I don't know where to place.  Someone are located at "sierras" which I'm not sure where is.  Does anyone know which state that could be? And the "admin test dummie" location is also hard to place, John  :wink: .

The maps and statistics are now updated (including the new member from Florida who joined us today).

Please tell me if you want any other type of statistics from the member list, or the information presented in any other way, and I'll try to make that.

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 12:23:41 pm »
Quote from: eivindm

I have one location by the way which I don't know where to place.  Someone are located at "sierras" which I'm not sure where is.  Does anyone know which state that could be?

the Sierras is most likely California.

Stacie

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 01:14:03 pm »
Martha you have in Kansas
She's in Kansas City, MO

knightfamily ou have in Wasinton State
washington county   Geogia

I just did a Excel spreadsheet on the membership
How can I post it here?

Thats how I found those mispplaced people
I like using a spread sheet because it's easy to sort by what you are looking for.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 03:45:15 pm »
OK, US geography isn't my brightest side :-)  But if you guys now have looked through the list and found all the errors, my next update would probably be correct (finally!!)  :D

I'll do an update when I'm back at the university tomorrow.

To post an Excel file, you have to store it on another server and link to it in the forum.  If you have no place to store it, you can send it to me, and I'll place it together with the other distribution files.  My address is eivindm@ifi.uio.no if you want to send it to me, BigRog.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2004, 07:28:23 am »
As you can see from the previous posts, my US geography knowledge needs some improvements :)  Thanks for the error notices from all of you.  The maps and stats are again updated, hopefully without erros this time!

BigRog have made a very useful Excel document with the member list, which he sent to me for posting here at the forum.  The excel sheet is available at the same place as the maps:
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~eivindm/diverse/beebbs/beemaster_memberlist.xls
Thanks, BigRog!

eivindm

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2004, 02:35:19 pm »
Don't feel bad about geography....... I not only can't tell you where all the states are in the US, but I have no idea where Norway is.  :oops: I know we're all on the same planet, just too far away to meet most of you. :)

Beth