Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Packaged Bee  (Read 2509 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Packaged Bee
« on: December 17, 2019, 11:04:30 am »
Any one here have experience in obtaining packaged bees?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Packaged Bee
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 11:19:13 am »
We sell 3 to 5 hundred packages a year.

https://beezneedz.com/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 11:19:39 am »
Yes Mr. Ben, I have experience.  I have never lost a package nor had a package abscond.

I ordered one package for 2020.  I enjoy seeing the complete entropy of the bees evolve into complete order as the package bees go about organization and create a functioning hive before my eyes.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 12:47:31 pm »
My second year I bought 2 packages.  Neither one lasted more than a month.  Waste of time and money unless that is the only choice for you to get bees IMO.  Local Nucs are much better.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 12:48:50 pm »
That is impressive iddee. Y'all are working your rears off for to get that many together!  Hats off to you. When do you usually begin putting  your packages together? I am guessing commercial keepers buy the most like pollinators?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 02:25:37 pm »
I bought one package last year at a local store and this year I'm getting one shipped in. Hopefully it will do good things.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 02:44:10 pm »
I picked up a package and nuc this year. Both on the same day. I think on April 28th. The package did well. I was able to pull some fall honey off the package hive. At one point going into late summer early fall it was stronger than the nuc. She seemed to slow down on laying earlier than the nuc. Where the nuc hive kept getting stronger. My wife pre ordered another for me. It?s supposed to ship March 27th. So right at a month earlier. Keep in mind also those two were my first hives and didn?t have any resources to pull from to help them.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 03:12:45 pm »
Ben,

I started 2 1/2 years ago with a single package, I did not know that Russians will just keep queen cells all the dang time and freaked when I saw them and split the hive.  Both hives made it and made it through the winter.  BUT.  That split has never produced like the original, even though it really is only a few months behind it time wise.  I have always figured it was due to the local genetics mixed in.  Last spring the 2nd hive swarmed.  I captured it and successfully got it rolling in its own hive.  Interestingly it was the easiest hive I have ever started, and I think it has to do with the bees naturally selecting the "crew" for that swarm.  who would know better than them who needs to go?  I also installed a new package that spring.  It is the only one I have had problems with and I think I did it to myself by not waiting long enough to release the queen.  Had to re-queen twice and the hive beetles still got that one (only hive I have lost so far).  I also split one other hive and supported it with brood from an existing hive.  That one did well.  I have 4 packages on order for this spring, and with the addition of two hive I bought from an older guy getting out of the business, I will be at ten by spring (if none die).

Packages work very well.  I do one thing not mentioned anywhere I know of.  The day after I install the package I hit it with oxalic acid, as you have a hive with no brood and therefore nowhere for Varroa to hide.  Starts you off with a far lower pest level.

Barry

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 09:14:49 pm »
Barry, good post.  Agreed treat when no brood is present, even packages.  Sounds like you know what you are doing.  You are either experienced or you studied very well.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 09:59:39 pm »
So u start out with acid ? before u know v count?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 10:02:10 pm »
Or do you assume bee's are full of v , if so why buy?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 10:20:39 pm »
If you have apiary , that you treat, do you quarantine packages before you bring in. Do you think 80% of bee loss is disease or man ?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 10:59:39 pm »
Mikey, the bought packages are already at a minimum of bees, usually three pounds. To test properly these packages with alcohol kills many. The reason to go ahead and treat as BAHBEEs described is a good reason, because IF there are any  exposed mites on the bees all mites should be killed with safe to the bees OAV. We know mites are always a threat. BAHBEEs suggestion is legitimate in my opinion because he is doing so before any brood can be started, which capped brood leaves a hiding place for breeding mite eggs and devolopeing mites to hide beneath the same capped brood.  It's a good chance that packages are as clean as possible when sold by suppliers, such as iddee,  because of state regulations and valued reputations to keep,  but to be extra safe, giving your new package the best leg up to the saddle is not a bad idea.  I think BAHBEEs in on the right track as long as the queen is not able to leave the hive with the package before brood is started. Now this is just my opinion.
Phillip 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:30:04 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 11:11:04 am »
What Phillip said...largely,

Note there really is no risk to OAV treatment, and I simply assume that there is a hitchhiker or few in any package.  It isn't like the package was raised in some sterile isolated environment...we/they all have some Varroa, it is just a matter of keeping them beat down low enough the bees can deal with them.

ANY time I know I have a broodless hive I hit them with OAV (a captured swarm gets it too).  I wouldn't be this way if Varroa was not so widespread, but it is.

Also I treat all my hives in fall/early winter regardless of mite count.  Honestly I don't even worry about such counting, not because there is no value in that number but because if I simply react to seeing a simple increase in them on the bottom board and break out the OAV all during the year so I simply don't have Varroa problems that get out of hand.  That combined with my fall treatment system seems to work.

All that said, I still feverishly battle wax moths and hive beetles.  Now that I have the OAV I actually consider the beetles and moths to be a far worse threat to my hives.

So, in short.  Yes, I do perform OAVs without doing mite counts.  I think of it as a prophylactic approach.

It is worth stating,  Most Beekeepers in my area lost 40-50% of their hive over the last 2 years...I have not.  I only do 2 things that are "different".  The use of OAV, and I feed as much as I can cram down them all fall.  Well, I also just don't screw with them all that much.  I add supers and take them, feed them when needed...react if I see something in those actions, but I am not constantly opening up my hives.

Barry   

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 09:43:46 pm »
Barry, agreed, very well written.  My exact approach to the mite problem is the same.  I don?t count the mites for two reasons;
1.  I know the mites are present.
2.  I will not kill my bees with alcohol or dust with sugar.  The poor bees seem so confused as to why they are covered in dust and my bees trust me.  I just can?t violate that trust.
Best to the bees
Van

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 03:12:42 pm »
Thanks Van,

Similar feelings...I kill far too many the times I do have to break into a hive...just cannot do things that kill more without some drastic reason!

Barry

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 05:11:05 pm »
Yes, Berry, I discovered years ago when I inadvertently squished a bee, the bees have memory and some sort of feelings for lack of better wording.

I squished a bee on an adjacent hive lid.  I watched a calm guard bee gently walk up to check out the squished bee.  One sniff of he dead bee and instantly, to my surprise the guard bee quickly determined, correctly I might add, that I was cause of squished bee and the guard bee made a bee line for my protected face.  That single guard bee made that high pitched buzz rite in my veil, which alerted the other bees that I was a danger, I killed a sister bee.

As you probably already figured I soon had a face veil full of angry bees.  I had to quit my inspection and move on to another hive.  However, I was followed by an angry guard bee which also alerted the second hive with that high pitched buzz.  Upon removing the lid, the second hive was on alert and proceeded to let me know I was not welcome and I would be stung if I continued with the second inspection.

So I replace the lid on the second hive and walked away for half hour.  Upon returning to the hives 30 minutes later, all was normal and inspections proceeded without further complications.  The above ordeal all started with a single accidental squished bee and a single guard bee with that unmistakable high pitched angry buzz which I have long since recognize.  A very high pitch, constant tone that does not fluctuate in pitch or audio, a constant tone, alarm it is and serves as a call to other bees to defend, be on alert, danger.  If you listen to your bees, they talk.

As I walked into my apiary this afternoon, 53F, calm and sunny,  several bees approached me to ask if I had any food for them.   No less than 8 bees politely asking. Desiring some sugar syrup I imagine but still to cold to feed syrup at the present weather conditions.
Blessings
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:34:26 pm by van from Arkansas »

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 05:43:46 pm »
I bought two packages back in the day.  The horse kicked over my first hive and the bees flew off.

My second package were Midnight bees (that ages me, eh?).  They were very gentle.  Could work them without gloves or veil and they produced good amounts of honey.  Gave them to my old track coach when I went off to seminary.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 06:51:55 pm »
Yes, Father Michael, I have also had acquaintances with the midnight bee as you call them.  Indeed, very gentle black bee, just excellent at working such as comb building.  The most beautiful white comb I have ever laid eyes on.

I would like to obtain a queen from such stock of gentle black bees.  However, I have not been successful at locating a queen and have kept an eye out the past few years.

I do have one very beautiful solid black queen from California, but the progeny is all yellow striped.  Since I have but one apiary location I can only breed for Cordovan Italian as all my drones are typical Italian or the more beautiful drones of Cordovan Italian.

Those gentle black bees are around, I just have not the opportunity to come across such a fine black bee for sale.  Some day the Blessings will arrive and I will certainly give the fine black queen a new home.

Blessings

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 07:49:17 pm »
Packages are a nice way to build an apiary.  Especially if you have old comb. 
I recommend packages to anyone who asks at the bee club.
However, you should not go into winter with the package queen, IMO. 
I have the most success when I pull the package queen and let the hive make their own queen.  A lot of times the hive will do so on their own.  I like to pull the queen as soon as they fill out the first medium, if it's a normal queen.
For me in SW OHio/SE Indiana the package queens just don't make it thru winter.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 08:36:20 pm »
Packages are a nice way to build an apiary.  Especially if you have old comb. 
I recommend packages to anyone who asks at the bee club.
However, you should not go into winter with the package queen, IMO. 
I have the most success when I pull the package queen and let the hive make their own queen.  A lot of times the hive will do so on their own.  I like to pull the queen as soon as they fill out the first medium, if it's a normal queen.
For me in SW OHio/SE Indiana the package queens just don't make it thru winter.

jvalentour, I have heard the same advice given by others as far as adding a new queen in time. Maybe the queens are older? Or, there other reasons that eventual replacement is recommended by some keepers?
Thanks, PHillip