Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: www.mybeehive.ru (that`s my diary address)  (Read 5333 times)

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
www.mybeehive.ru (that`s my diary address)
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:24:40 am »
I have even registered my own domain in order to share my beekeeping experience with others gigs :)

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: www.mybeehive.ru (that`s my diary address)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:20:13 am »
You've got a nice blog started there, it looks like your beehives are in a most beautiful area. It must be very peaceful and relaxing when you go out to work in your hives.

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:46:54 am »
You've got a nice blog started there, it looks like your beehives are in a most beautiful area. It must be very peaceful and relaxing when you go out to work in your hives.

Thank you! As for location it`s in Moscow suburbs, around 150 km (around 90 miles?) south-west. When there is no heavy traffic, it`s one and a half hour drive. Unfortunately last two-three miles are impregnable in the winter, unless you have really big 4x4 with serious off-road capabilities.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:42:50 am »
Yes, I saw that you are in Moscow. I've never been there and was nice to see the lush looking foliage there in the area. With your harsh winters, just get the hives packed in with stores a month before the bad weather hits and you shouldn't need to visit them again until the thaw in spring. Best of luck to you and thanks for posting here in BeeMaster!

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:06:12 pm »
In fact, I am constantly told (by American Expats working in Russia) that hursh winters Russia is famous of... well, not true. And that Moscow in terms of weather conditions is very much like Chikago, in fact the latter is worse... I don`t know if that`s true, but that`s what they say...
As for hives, yes I`ll use some sort of "fallout shelter" but I`ll also be leaving my bees lots of food supplies in October, verbatim - honey. Books say that as long as they have hun, frost can`t kill them.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:11:00 pm »
Books say that as long as they have hun, frost can`t kill them.

that's true.  my winters are pretty cold and my bees do fine if they have plenty of food in.  i also put dry, granulated sugar on the inner cover for winter.  that way i know they have a little extra if they need it and i only have to pop the outer cover to check it. 

they also do well if the hives are covered with snow as long as entrance is not blocked and there is some ventilation.  snow insulates the hives.  it's the constant rain that's bad here.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 01:17:46 pm »
they also do well if the hives are covered with snow as long as entrance is not blocked and there is some ventilation.  snow insulates the hives.  it's the constant rain that's bad here.

I`ll try to avoid sugar, at least I am intent to now, but thanks for the "snow cover" hint. I am already seeing myself shoveling my backyard and making mountains of snow around hives with visors in it.  

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »
"snow cover" hint. I am already seeing myself shoveling my backyard and making mountains of snow around hives with visors in it. 

Hmmm, you may want to invest in a small tractor with a backhoe and a bucket!!!  ;)

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:08:07 am »

Hmmm, you may want to invest in a small tractor with a backhoe and a bucket!!!  ;)

Not unless I have been provided with honey first  :evil: