Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No bees! Hive empty!  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
No bees! Hive empty!
« on: November 18, 2022, 06:50:33 pm »
Good evening

I have a hive that has a 10-frame medium super filled with capped honey! Deep is well stocked with pollen and honey around the brood chamber. Outer frames in deep are also filled with capped honey.
This hive was booming when inspected in Mid September. I checked on it today and it was empty. No bees in sight.....! I inspected the bottom board no dead bees! Nothing to indicate a mass die off inside the hive. It looks as if they left in a hurry without even touching the stores! 

WHAT HAPPENED? Can anyone please suggest a scenario? I have a neighboring hive that is doing well.

Kind regards to all and thank you in advance for any tips.

Sincerely
Rodni

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: No bees! Hive empty!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 07:36:58 pm »
Sounds like an abscond to me; something caused the colony to decide to fly the coop.  The most common cause is stress from mites.  Had you checked them for mites at any point?  If so, what were the numbers?     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 08:34:02 pm »
I think the bees absconding is caused by the Africanized bee genes. In Africa, when the dry season starts, the bees have to get up and move many mines to where the food will bee for the next 6-9 months. They cannot stay in a drought area or they would die, probably from lack of water long before the food would run out. The amount of absconding we have now did not start until after we had Africanized genetics in our bees.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 09:13:29 pm »
They absconded. Pull all drawn comb out and freeze it before its ruined. Will give you a starter to put a small split on in the fall.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 11:04:49 pm »
WHAT HAPPENED? Can anyone please suggest a scenario? I have a neighboring hive that is doing well.

Your bees didnt abscond.  They crashed from mites and the viruses they vector.  When mites are left unchecked and worker population begins to drop in August mite population skyrockets.  Did you treat or do a mite check?  Chances are your neighboring hive had a brood break sometime during the summer.  I would treat them with OAD between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 01:26:38 am »
Good evening

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate your input and expertise. Unfortunately, I did not treat the bees for Varroa Mites! I do not believe in putting chemicals/toxins in honey that my three small children will consume << I did not mean to disrespect anyone who does and I apologize if I offended anyone with this comment! >> . I will start all over next spring. I hope the remaining hive will survive the winter.

Kind regards to all and thank you. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 08:19:13 am »
Rodni73 Thank you for your topic. I am sorry you lost your bees. No doubt there was some kind of trouble and no doubt the bees left either by abscond or death, (as both possibilities have been suggested). Each poster gave theories of what 'might have been' the cause of your 'mysterious' loss. A mystery with the direct description of what is know as CCD Colony Collapse Disorder. Even though each poster most likely had this 'feeling' deep down, each went ahead and offered optional theories with  scenarios of other possibilities of what could have also been a cause leading to the 'mystery' of your unfortunate loss. Together at Beemaster, we strive to help one another figure out such things. Each giving input of what 'could have' happened. Along with a 'safe' solution, (in the eyes of the poster' based from 'years' of beekeeping experience in many cases), to each other, in order to ward off such losses in the future if possible . 

The discussion and sometimes 'arguments' of treat or non treatment for mites, either (for safety reasons as you described, or even romanticized based reasons) has been ongoing since the 'obvious' detrimental devastation inflicted by Varroa Destructor on The Honey Bee.

Research Shedding light into what is safe and not safe has been discussed not only here at Beemaster 'numerous' times, but by Universities, Government Labs etc from different Countries the World over as you may very well know. Each time something 'new' develops we at Beemaster are on it! lol  Along with great hope of possibilities as well as seeking the negatives with 'open-minded thinking' and discussion.

For those who may not know, Beemaster is an International Beekeeping Forum with 11,319 members, 52,971 topics, and 501,279 total post, (including yours). Even so, we are a tight knit international beekeeping community here at Beemaster. We as a group strive to help one another with 'gained' and updated  knowledge of what may be good for our bees and our families as well. We also realize not everyone will agree on everything.

The safety of 'certain' 'chemicals' have been hashed over the world over again and again with different views and outlooks. As well as 'alternative' 'organic' treatments for Varroa Destructor. I will not attempt to sway you on your view as I assume you have already studied such research featuring a wide range of options in aid of helping 'save the bees' against astronomical odds which are in favor of collapse caused by pest. (without help). Even this sort of discussion has sometimes spun off to other discussions such as Varroa resistant bees etc.

I do not for a minute think that one person here would offer advise which they deemed 'might' cause harm to your family,  each of us love our families as well,, especially when offering the recommendation of Organic alternatives such OAV, as was recommended by beesnweeds.  No doubt he loves his family, just as much or more as the next fellow; So from that point of view, Offense could have been taken as insult  'if he were not'  an understanding person, who has done his research and was just trying to help.
:shocked: :grin:

No offense meant to be directed at you either. We are 'very happy you are a member here at Beemaster in your first season as you described a few months ago on the topic: "A bear spotted!". I hope you will take this as intended; One beekeeping friend to another.
If you wish to discuss treatment free you are 'very welcome' to point out your objections as well as what you might have found to be harmful to health by such treatment of bees; This would make a 'good topic' and welcome! If you have more questions concerning your bees, (as most of us do including myself from time too time), please ask, we will be more than happy to try and help with those as well!

Thanks you, and kind regards to you as well Rondi73,

Phillip

« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 08:51:41 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 11:34:55 am »
Good evening

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate your input and expertise. Unfortunately, I did not treat the bees for Varroa Mites! I do not believe in putting chemicals/toxins in honey that my three small children will consume << I did not mean to disrespect anyone who does and I apologize if I offended anyone with this comment! >> . I will start all over next spring. I hope the remaining hive will survive the winter.

Kind regards to all and thank you.
I am the oldest child in a big family, and I also am not comfortable putting synthetic chemicals in my hive for the reasons you have stated.  I do however treat my hives with organic products, as the active ingredients degrade quickly and are found in nature.  I only treat when necessary, not on a schedule.  Even if you are not comfortable treating with organics, there are still ways to manage varroa mites "manipulatively", such as strategically timed splitting, brood breaks, or varroa trapping.  Perhaps you'd like to look into some of these alternative methods.  Acquiring local resistant stock can also really help.

Even if you decide to just do nothing, which I do NOT at all recommend, it's still a good idea to do a mite count at least several times a year, just for diagnostic purposes.  That way, when something like an abscond or a colony death happens, at least you'll be able to learn what happened, and either rule out or confirm mites as the culprit. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 11:43:55 am »
I will start all over next spring. I hope the remaining hive will survive the winter.

Don't hope! Do something about it!  You'll just be buying bees and spreading mites every year.  Totally unfair to beekeepers in your area.  Using oxalic acid properly is 100% safe for you and your family.  Oxalic acid isn't detectable a few days after use, it's all I treat with.  People have been using it for varies reasons since the 17th century.  Formic acid is also good.  Do some research, buy oxalic acid and learn how to use it before your other hive dies.  OAD is easy, cheap and safe.  The money you save buying OA instead of packages can go towards your child's education.

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 12:28:23 pm »
Oxalic acid is a natural component of honey anyway.
Tests have shown that the oxalic acid content in honey remained unchanged, even after two successive treatments during the same autumn.

Apidologie 33 (2002) 399-409
DOI: 10.1051/apido:2002029
Determination of residues in honey after treatments with formic and oxalic acid under field conditions

So no real excuse to not treat for varroa.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 03:20:59 pm »
Im just going to throw my 2 cents in here. 30 days since last inspection. 21 days for egg to hatch (+/-). Now we dont know the full scenario on the last inspection and here is the but. Should have still been bees.

The man asked what happened to his bees not about treatment.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 05:07:28 pm »
Might have been mites, but I'm thinking not.  Sometimes they up and leave.  You may have had several swarms out of that hive that you didn't see and for whatever reason they just kept going.  Some hives are like that.  What you usually will find in those hives is the remnants of queen cells.

Sometimes the whole hive will take off for no apparent reason.  Something might have been bothering them, or they found better lodgings.

With mites you usually have some indication of a problem before it takes down the hive, but as a first year (or 2nd or 3rd year) beekeeper it's easy to miss.

my first guess is that you lost the queen and the other bees drifted to your queen right hive, or your neighbors hives. 

As for mites, you do need to keep an eye on this for your sake and for the sake of those around you.  The all natural thing is a good way to spread diseases and parasites.  Do research on the ingredients in some of the available treatments.  You'll find several that you might feel comfortable using. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 10:17:44 pm »
On second thought after reading all of the posts. It was probably a slightly Africanized colony with no water that lost its queen after swarming and got CCD.  The remaining bees absconded and tried to usurp the neighboring hive.  Unsuccessful, some of the bees got captured by the neighboring hive and the others escaped to a new location.  Freeze the frames, disinfect the hive and just start over in the spring with a package.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 01:43:59 am »
Im just going to throw my 2 cents in here. 30 days since last inspection. 21 days for egg to hatch (+/-). Now we dont know the full scenario on the last inspection and here is the but. Should have still been bees.

The man asked what happened to his bees not about treatment.

> The man asked what happened to his bees not about treatment.

That is true Bill. Please consider; Naturally when someone is a first year acquired beekeeper, who may be seeking knowledge and answers to his or her question as in this case.  Seasoned members who answer the 'call of aid' with 'honest' well intended answers, 'might' take in consideration the original poster 'is in that' delicate beginning learning stage; It is only natural for 'thorough' advice to be given as useful information 'in conjunction' with the theory given.

The added information, may very well help our friend from experiencing the same heartbreaking results a second time in his second season to come. Whether the problem was mites or some other theory considered and offered in the variety of replies above; or even something else that has yet to be considered.

Thoughtful responding members have shared information according to each 'individual hypothesis' of 'what might have been' the problem or cause of the problem. 

I wish to commend each and every poster for responding to Rodni73 and his mystery question, (while considering the limited amount of information shared by the OP).  Also thanking each for offering a solution which fits their theory for the benefit of Rodni73.
This collection of ideas gives Rodni73 a variety of theories to consider.

I would further like to encourage others who might yet to respond, please chime in if you have more presumptions of what the cause might have been, along with advise which might help avoid such a tragedy in the future. Not only for the benefit of the Original Poster but for 'any' person who might read this topic, including our newer members which have recently joined and may be interested as well.

Thanks and Kind regards,

Phillip

« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 01:57:15 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 06:47:22 am »
Look on the bottom board.  If they crashed there will be piles of dead bees.  If they absconded there will not.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 09:53:39 am »
Thank you Michael, that was stated in original post.

I inspected the bottom board no dead bees! Nothing to indicate a mass die off inside the hive.

So back to why they left. IDK. If it was mine I would say either I lost a queen, and as Kathy said ended up in another hive or the hive became untenable to them due to Beatles.  Not knowing if there was eggs on the last inspection is key. because as stated in original post also.

This hive was booming when inspected in Mid September.

Ok, I stand corrected last insp. wasnt 30 days it was more like 60, misread that. So now knowing if there was eggs is more important. Fall build up is a critical time.
If I went back after 60 days in the fall and didnt have bees, I would probably be rethinking my inspection periods.

Phillip: I was/and am taking that into account. Thats why I put my 2 cents in. And going back to the original post again,  I misread that stand corrected.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 10:00:51 am »
Bill what you consider to be your two cents worth, is much more valuable. Thank you for contributing and helping make Beemaster what it is, a helpful friendly bee forum..

Phillip

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2022, 04:53:49 pm »
When colonies collapse or crash from varroa mites they do not pile up dead on the bottom board.  This is a short, very informative video that explains what happened to the OPs colony.

https://youtu.be/RgZzIJgR69g

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2022, 07:15:47 pm »
When colonies collapse or crash from varroa mites they do not pile up dead on the bottom board.

This has been my understanding as well.
Before I was a beekeeper I watched a documentary on Television during 'prime time' back when The Save The Bees Campaign was beginning to kick off at full throttle.

What I recall more than any other part of the 'special presentation', was the puzzlement of the featured California Pollinators which described just what Rodni73 described; Except the Pollinators were far more precise with a time schedule of the strange disappearances. They would have bees in a hive one day, then 'poof'!  Plenty of abandoned honey was still in the hive, pollen was there as well, but the bees were gone. Only a 'few, very few' bees we left as stragglers. Of course this type of unexplained information, (in those day of mystery), caused a world wide scare and opened up 'the dissiperance of the bees' conversation.  The mysterious CCD; Colony Collapse Disorder    "Save The Bees"

Phillip
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 11:02:46 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
No bees! Hive empty!
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2022, 08:26:19 pm »
30-60 days between checks .. really there is no help to be had because there is no tangible data/info available.  A lot of changes happen in a hive in the fall as they ready themselves for winter .. which easily can go awry and result in colony failures:   Eg Loss of queen, late season swarms and failure to requeen itself, mass die off of old worn out summer bees, halting of laying, exponential mite-to-bee ratio, disease, mismanagement of hive size/space, malnourishment, agriculture rapid ripe applications, etc etc.
We can rattle off many plausible causes of the loss, but reality all would be speculation and this thread becomes an education refresh along with restating established best practices and standards of beekeeping.
Here is a poke in the ribs to step up the game next year. Decide whether are going to be an actual beekeeper or a beehaver/ beehadder.  And spend the winter learning how to keep bees properly.
(Someone had to say it)
I recommend the thread be closed - as it is just going to go around in circles.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 08:36:23 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything