BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

How many hives in a yard?

(1/2) > >>

max2:
Obviously the answer will varii on location.

I have found that about 10 hives at each yard  allows me to find a frame with brood to give to a hive with no queen, borrow a couple of frames from a hive to pass on to a hive which is low on food...

The FLOW effect has meant that we have many beekeepers with one or two hives. I get constanly e-mails from people who lost a queen, have a weak hive...

I find that around 10 hives allows me to "keep, take care" of bees. "Beekeeping" in the true sense of the word.
What are others finding?

Bill Murray:
personally I run 20 t0 30 dependent on  location. any more than 30 I start to get robbing issues, any less than 20 and it makes it not cost/time, effective/efficient, and they seem to get neglected sometimes.

Michael Bush:
https://bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#howmanyhives

BeeMaster2:
The commercial beekeepers put 64 hives per location, 16 pallets of 4 hives, here in the spring at just about every location they use. They try to space them close to a mile apart.
When they do this right next to my property with my 12-18 hives we both get very little honey. Now they don?t put them next to my property.
Jim Altmiller

TheHoneyPump:
If you just want to maintain a backyard apiary for fun , hobby, intrigue, study, some honey/wax;  there is a minimum number needed to be totally self sufficient and able to over come any problems;  3 main big colonies and 2 nuclei colonies. 
If you have many and want to optimize the number in each yard, factors needed to consider are - size of your work crew(s), size of your truck(s), terrain of the area, size of your extracting/processing facility.  In other words - much more info is needed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version