BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Single frame observation hive.

(1/15) > >>

Lesgold:
Hi folks,

Just got back from selling a bit of honey at the markets. While sitting and watching potential customers walking past, I started thinking about how I could attract more attention. I thought that if I could get people to stop and ask questions, the potential to sell honey would increase. With that in mind, I was thinking of making a single frame observation hive to have on display. A frame could be taken from an established hive and placed into the observation hive for no longer than about 6 hours and then returned to the mother hive. I?ve never done this before so I?m after a bit of advice from the wizards on this site. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Les

Ben Framed:
Les I like your thinking out of the box. I do not know how the bees would react to not being able to come and go. All observation hives Ive seen have a way in and out. What would you do to over come this? Or would you need to if you have only a queen and nurse bees on one frame? Ventilation must be considered as well. I for one like the idea! I have little doubt this would increase your honey sales, not only honey, Lip Balm, etc and even colonies as well! (If you so desire).

Phillip

Lesgold:
Thanks Phillip. I was thinking of one frame including bees. Not sure if I could use a frame of brood with the queen and bees attached or just a frame of honey with bees taken directly from a small hive. I am unsure if the bees could keep the brood warm or not. Just looking for ideas at this point. The frame would have clear acrylic sides and ventilation holes so there should be no issues from that perspective. It would be nice to be able to educate the general public in relation to the internal structure of a hive. The markets run for 4 hours so the bees would only be absent from the main hive for about 6 hours. I?m sure there are many members of the forum who could advise me.

BeeMaster2:
Les,
I have two observations hives. One is in the house with permanent residents and the other is used for school demonstrations and for market displays.
The second one is a five frame Nuc that includes a feeder frame. One brood frame is placed in the top with the queen on it, everyone wants to see the queen, and the other four frames are in the bottom plus the feeder frame. You keep a Nuc hive available just for this observation hive if you are going to use it on a regular basis.
I used tork screws on all of the fasteners so that little Johnny couldn?t remove them , while I was distracted, and fill the classroom full of bees.
When I get up I will take some pictures and post them.
Jim Altmiller

jimineycricket:
We use an observation hive similar to this one at our state fair booth each year.
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/gifts-misc/educational-tools/observation-hive/
Several folks have them and lend them for the fair.
They will go for three days or so without needing changed.
Works just as Jim said. Only you need to watch that the drunks don't tip it to get a better look for the queen. :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version