BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Bees in the Oak trees

<< < (2/6) > >>

Michael Bush:
Honeydew is NOT honey.  It is honeydew.  It is made from the excretions of aphids, not the nectar of flowers.  It is sweet, but it doesn't taste like honey, because it's not.  But yes, honeydew is darker.

Ben Framed:
My mistake Mr Bush. One word can change the whole meaning of intent. Thanks for pointing this out. My intent was:

Thanks Mr Bush, Most of the stronger honey that I have experienced has been darker honey. I am assuming Oak honeydew makes a darker honey.  ?

Phillip

paus:
Mr. Bush, in your second post you spelled "HONEYDEW" correctly, it is one word. This is FOI for our informati0on. 

Ben Framed:
Thank you Mr Binnie.

Michael Bush:
>Mr. Bush, in your second post you spelled "HONEYDEW" correctly, it is one word. This is FOI for our informati0on.

The spell checker probably outsmarted me on the first post... sorry.  Yes, it's one word.  The general rule in English is that it is one word or a compound word (with a hyphen) when it describes something other than the words used to describe it, e.g. butterfly which is not a fly and not butter.  Honey bee still seems to be up for discussion, but it seems to me that it is a bee, and the kind of bee is the one that makes honey.  So Honey bee seems correct where honeybee would be something that is neither honey nor a bee.  So honeydew is neither honey nor dew, therefore honeydew is the appropriate term rather than honey dew which would indicate that it is either honey or dew and the other word describes what kind of honey.  But since it ends up in a bee hive I suppose an argument could be made that it is a kind of honey.  But the general definition of honey is something made by the bees from nectar which honeydew is not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version