BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Bees in the Oak trees

<< < (3/6) > >>

Bob Wilson:
I assumed the bees were using the honeydew as a nectar source, and converting it into honey. Is that not true?

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on July 05, 2022, 07:13:51 am ---I assumed the bees were using the honeydew as a nectar source, and converting it into honey. Is that not true?

--- End quote ---

Bob I was totally under the 'very same' assumption and understanding as you about honeydew (honey). I also think it is safe to assume bees must have the very same assumption as well! lol   :grin:  :wink:

However, Mr Binnie and Mr Bush both broke the subject down to the foundation. If I understand each of these folks correctly, Honeydew can not 'officially' be considered true Honey though called such when collected, converted, and stored by bees, just as done with 'true nectar' honey.
See  2:24 to 3:12 in Mr Binnnies video....

I suppose the same can be said of bee collected and converted 'sugar water' not being real honey, just as said of honeydew not being real honey for example, though two totally different sources neither being 'real honey' collected from real nectar, and rightfully so when we consider.  Mr Binnies displayed written text in the video really helps explain Honeydew.
This has turned out to be an interesting topic!

Phillip

Michael Bush:
>I suppose the same can be said of bee collected and converted 'sugar water' not being real honey...

Correct.  Because it is not made from nectar.

Bob Wilson:
Hmmm.
1. Mr. Binnie said that honeydew (by which I assume he means "honeydew honey", as opposed to "clover honey" or "sourwood honey") is bad for digestion for bees, as are some dark honeys.
2. It just seems reasonable to me that ANY honey which bees make from ANY sugar source is still honey. The QUALITY of that honey is a vastly different matter, such as honeydew honey or sugar water honey. In other words, it is not the source that determines whether it is honey, but what the bees do with the sugar source that make it honey.
...or I could be wrong.

Ben Framed:
Bob Wilson
Hmmm.
1. Mr. Binnie said that honeydew (by which I assume he means "honeydew honey", as opposed to "clover honey" or "sourwood honey") is bad for digestion for bees, as are some dark honeys.
2. It just seems reasonable to me that ANY honey which bees make from ANY sugar source is still honey. The QUALITY of that honey is a vastly different matter, such as honeydew honey or sugar water honey. In other words, it is not the source that determines whether it is honey, but what the bees do with the sugar source that make it honey.
...or I could be wrong.

Ben Framed
Reply 11

--- Quote ---Bob I was totally under the 'very same' assumption and understanding as you about honeydew (honey). I also think it is safe to assume bees must have the very same assumption as well! lol  :grin:  :wink
--- End quote ---

I agree with you reasoning Bob, although it is my understanding that sugar water honey is considered adulterated honey since it is not from a true nectar source.. (Not recognized an official real honey if you will).... Apparently honeydew is in the same class?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version