BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

First beetle slimed box

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Acebird on March 16, 2022, 08:28:24 am ---Yeah, beetles tend to get worse.  I got a beetle problem up north where you are not suppose to have beetle problems.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Lesgold on March 16, 2022, 05:58:50 pm ---Beetles love it when bees do not cover all frames. The little blighters have a Christmas party on honey/ pollen frames when this situation occurs. Good luck Bob with the upcoming season.

Cheers

Les

--- End quote ---

Yes Les, they can be a pain in the beekeeping program.

Brian I had supposed New York far enough North to be a safe-haven from SHB. Thanks for making this know.

Phillip

Michael Bush:
It's not about pests, it's about the density of bees.  If it's low they struggle.  If the density falls too low they die.  If it's nice and high, they thrive.  If it's too high,, they swarm.

FloridaGardener:
From recent, very disappointing experience -

I think with nucs, the ones I feed 1:1 syrup build up faster in summer, than the ones I give a bar of partially-capped honey. As if they don't want to increase brood using the honey.  So then the colony doesn't expand even enough to cover that extra frame.

Also keep total pollen low.  Just enough.   And if I re-queen in late spring/early summer, the stores bars are at peak.  So I need to remove some, and put in undrawn comb (I use empty frames) in order to keep a safe balance. Of course most minimum number of hive bodies.

BeeMaster2:
FloridaGardener,
Your observation about honey versus sugar water for spring buildup is right on. If there is no nectar coming in the the bees shut down the queens egg production even when the hive is full of honey. When you feed them sugar water you stimulate egg production.
Jim Altmiller

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on July 24, 2022, 02:41:51 pm ---FloridaGardener,
Your observation about honey versus sugar water for spring buildup is right on. If there is no nectar coming in the the bees shut down the queens egg production even when the hive is full of honey. When you feed them sugar water you stimulate egg production.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---

Yes, that along with an adequate pollen supply.

Quoting Michale Bush concerning density:
"If it's low they struggle. If the density falls too low they die. If it's nice and high, they thrive.  If it's too high,, they swarm."

Learned through experience; 😊 I agree on each of your points Mr Bush; Density is very important.

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version