BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

oxalic acid in feed

(1/3) > >>

drobbins:
Hey Folks,

I've taken all the honey I'm going to this year and I've been doing a little feeding, we're in a dearth around here.
I've added a few essential oils in my "custom" mix :cool:
Surely somebody has experimented with adding oxalic acid to sugar syrup as feed
Is this a waste of time, or possibly harmful to the bees?
Seem like maybe it would make life hard for mites in the cells
Might also be bad for bee larvae?

Thought's? Surely someone has tried this

Ben Framed:
D I have not heard of (feeding Oxalic) to bees or any other creature. Unless the label recommends this, I would not feed oxalic. Just an example. Cutter or Off is an effective deterrent from bitting insects such as ticks. We would not ingest or mix with our food, but we instead follow the label and directions. I know this is an extreme example but the first that I came up with. On the other hand, if you have come across some scientific study that suggest feeding oxalic to bees, I would like to read up on this? Please post. Do you have a vaporizer gadget of some type? One of our new members even mentioned using oxalic with a shop towel.
Thanks, 
Phillip

The15thMember:
I'm not an expert in this by any means, but I definitely agree with Phillip.  Just because something is safe for the bees to contact, does NOT mean it's safe to ingest.  I'd be very surprised if something like this would work.  The topical insecticide we use on our bodies is actually a really good example.                     

drobbins:
hey guys

thanks for the reply
I was thinking that with packages they sometimes spray them down with syrup laced with OA
and the "safer" method for treating when they're broodless is a syrup dribble of syrup laced with OA (I vaporize it)
both would result in bees ingesting the OA
I guess maybe both would not involve it being fed to the brood since in one case they're broodless in in the case of a package they won't have brood for a while
I haven't done it, just something I was thinking about
your point with topical bug spray is well taken

thanks

Ben Framed:
D, just because I have not heard of this does not mean that it is not applicable. I just have simply never heard of feeding oxalic. Therefore I am very shy about the idea, and still feel the same until I learn further. You made some good points as I will quote.

''sometimes spray them down with syrup laced with OA
and the "safer" method for treating when they're broodless is a syrup dribble of syrup laced with OA (I vaporize it)
both would result in bees ingesting the OA ''

Perhaps someone such as a scientist will give you a more accurate evaluation? We do have a scientist here, Van from Arkansas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version