Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to....make a hive tool  (Read 8825 times)

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
How to....make a hive tool
« on: June 13, 2004, 08:38:57 am »
To buy a stainless steel hive tool at my local suppliers is around £10 ($18 ).

I couldn't understand why they were so expensive, so got some of the guys in our engineering department to cut me two strips of stainless steel.

I then bent the ends using a vice.

The final stage was to add a "curve" to make it more comfortable for your hands to grip. I used an "angle-grinder" (or disc grinder perhaps in the US?), anyway, I marked a curve on using a lid from a honey bucket, and a marker pen, and then used the grinder to remove most of the waste. I finished up by using a bastard file (half round) to smooth out the inaccuracies caused by the grinder.

I them sprayed with some primer, some day-glo paint (so I can see them in the grass when I drop them!) and some laquer to provide a protective outer coat. I used a vibrating engraver to write my name on, so that at the club teaching apiary everyone knows who's they are (they get left behind, put in peoples pockets, dropped etc)

These are the finished products.

Adam

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 10:57:12 am »
Nearly speechless here. :) I hadn't posted anything about the hives, but they look great. Beautiful wood. And these tools! Great job!

Beth

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 02:53:17 pm »
Great Job!
Very nice

What are the dimensions?
The tool you are refering to is called a Die Grinder

Would something like this work?
$8.99 at Northern tool

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 03:15:59 pm »
One thing about that that though Roger, is that they're in the UK. Shipping can be a real pain, and end up costing you way too much. Sometimes the shipping even costs more than the item itself. :)

Beth

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 03:35:28 pm »
These are only small tools, just for levering the frames up ec. They are just about the same length as a pencil.

Adam

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 11:30:09 am »
Nice job man!
h
Bee Boy

anything