Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bleach solution  (Read 5397 times)

Offline mark

• House Bee
bleach solution
« on: June 03, 2004, 07:33:02 pm »
any of you guys ever use bleach solution to sanitize frames or bodies? i'm wondering if its use would bother the bees.

mark

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
bleach solution
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 08:19:02 pm »
Mark,

I have never used it for cleaning, because it is not all that effective at penetrating deep into the wood.  But it won't bother the bees, especially if you let it dry before giving it to them.  

In fact, I use to put bleach in the water that I provided for the bees.  Not only did it keep algae down, but it seemed to attrack the bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beefree

• House Bee
bleach
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 01:35:34 pm »
the commercial beekeeper i got my bees from uses a couple glugs of bleach in several gallons of water to clean his bottom boards in the spring each year... brush with stiff brush (not bee brush), scrape with hive tool if necessary, spilll on the water and scrub off.  i have new hive so i haven't tried it myself.
beefree
Those who are merciful to the cruel become callous to the meek.

Offline steve

• House Bee
bleach
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 05:27:59 pm »
Bleach will kill wax worm larva and eggs if left on long enough BUT it has not effect on AFB spores,
                                 Steve

Offline chemistbert

• Brood
Things to remeber...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 04:56:12 pm »
Keep in mind that bleach is a water based chemical. It will not penetrate propolis of wax without very long soaking time. I would think it very ineffective at doing anything but surface sterilization.