Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Black bees  (Read 2447 times)

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
Black bees
« on: May 29, 2021, 11:18:31 pm »
I've seen a few threads on here about black bees. It can be anything from a German bee, to a mutt, to a robber from what I've read.  Can anyone identify this one? I found a few in one of my hives today.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Re: Black bees
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 08:58:26 am »
Usually an old bee.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 12:48:30 pm »
Black bees like this are hairless for some reason.  Sometimes it's because they are old, sometimes because they are sick, and I seem to remember it being mentioned before the rare possibility of bees just developing without hair.  As to which this bee is, it's difficult to say.  The state of the rest of the colony would give you a clue.  If the colony is healthy and there aren't many bees like this, I don't think it's anything to worry about.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 12:57:39 pm »
From what I learned here when a black bee is shiny is ok. If a dull waxie color possibly unhealthy.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 01:06:11 pm »
It's a large healthy colony.  I've added 2 supers in 8 days.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 09:13:34 pm »
tycrnp I see them from time to time in my hives also.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 12:47:25 am »
I see them every once in a while, but the colonies are healthy, and doing fine.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 03:16:08 pm »
I see such only in the late summer and fall when my neighbours hives are crashing and their sickly bees are finding their way over to mine to beg into. I do not like ever seeing them, and neither should you. Pick them out, pinch them, and toss them aside soon as you see them to prevent spread of viral infections in your colonies. Clean-sterile your hands and your tools after encountering them.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 12:02:15 am »
HP. I can do that, but if it is a virus, what virus is it? I only see one every once in a while.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 12:08:43 am »
Yup !!! What The Honey Pump said.  Black hairless bees are a symptom of chronic bee paralysis virus. (CPV)
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 02:05:31 am »
I am posting the following form 2005. I do not know much about (CPV), How long its been around, or the symptoms. The following is posted for interest sake showing black bees have been reported here as far back as 2005, maybe even further back. I did not search for readings further back than this one below concerning the black bee.

Just wondering if anyone could explain what happened.  I'm a first year BeeKeeper in Canada and started with 2 hives of Cornolia's.  One of the hives has been really strong right form the get go, but the other one has been struggling all summer.  As i was getting ready to start feeding them for winter last week, I took 2 brood frames from the really strong hive (had 3 deeps of brood) and placed in the weaker one hoping that it would help.  As I was rearranging the weak hive, I found 2 superceeding queen cells and 2 swarming queen cells all were already empty and could not locate the origonal queen.  After placing the lid back on the hives and placing my feed containers on the tops of the hives. I noticed that there were numerous black bees (not my cornolia's) gathering on the weaker hive and taking any dripped syrup as well as fighting with the bees on the outside of the super and entrance.  Now less than a weak later, my weak hive is completely dead, there thousands of dead cornolia's and black bees everywhere including inside the hive, the frames have all been robbed and the foundations are being demolished.  I realize that its too late and there is probably nothing I can do now, but is it normal for other strains off bees to raid and kill off entire hives just like that, in less than a week and any ideas on how to prevent that in the future???  Any info or help would be more than appreciated, "Thanks" in advance...  BTW this site and all the info people place on it is great!!!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 02:10:34 am »
Adding, he never received a reply.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 09:54:50 pm »
Wow!!! I will remove any I find in the future. Thanks!!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 10:36:57 pm »
You are welcome. I found this while looking for more information of the black bee here. I am no expert. I thought you might find the post interesting. HoneyPumps response, in my opinion, should be taken. I am saying this after once again, looking at you picture blown up for more clarity. You bee looks waxie to me.

.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 11:18:36 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 05:56:39 pm »
HP. I can do that, but if it is a virus, what virus is it? I only see one every once in a while.
The number of types that are out there grows each time a lab tests for something different. There is a very wide gap in the knowledge base of the beekeeping community with respect to just how many and how prevalent honey bee virus` really are. The basic level of awareness across the community is very low.  There is a huge opportunity for improvement in this area. Anyone reading this, please take it as your queue to seek out information and educate yourself and your fellow beekeepers on the subject. Casually ask about virus` in your bee-circles.  Watch for how many blank stares there are. This stuff is not new. Knowledge of honeybee virus` is 50-60 years in the making.  As lab technology advances, so does the knowledge of the details of virus`

As a basic starting point to begin your journey, here is just one of many links that can popup on a google search:
https://bee-health.extension.org/honey-bee-viruses-the-deadly-varroa-mite-associates/

The most common type I encounter around here is Kashmir (KBV) and its variant xxPV cousins .

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:09:53 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2023, 01:24:22 pm »
This was an interesting and informative topic. I am renewing it for the sake of our newer beekeepers who might be interested.

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2023, 06:38:59 am »
It's often because they are robbers.  It's also often because of a virus.  Huber writes about these in "Huber's new observations on bees" vol II.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2023, 12:07:16 pm »
In 1958 when i was discharged from the US army I had one hive left out of 23 when I was drafted.  That hive was my best honey maker they were MEAN and they were the only hive that survived my two year absence.  The old timers called them native bees but that folklore has been proved wrong.  I have a wild hive in a big oak they are almost as black as the bees in my first hives iI got in 1948

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2023, 03:43:54 pm »
Paus were your bees of the 1950's; or the ones in the tree, slick or 'hairless' as the one in the picture?  My uncle had an experience with mean black bees many years ago. Those bees were 'healthy' black in color bees, (with hair), (fuzz), or whatever it is which covers bees, giving them their color. And by the way they were also mean! lol

Phillip

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2023, 01:07:52 pm »
{ dont't remember any details of the bees except that was my only hive of black bees the rest of my 23 were Italian as the man who almost gave them to me had requeened all of the other hives.  Some of them I never put on any protective gear.