Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it important to heat frames before extraction?  (Read 8049 times)

Offline TheFuzz

• House Bee
Is it important to heat frames before extraction?
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:41:45 am »
I have a 12 frame honey spinning extractor. Usually, I go to my bees, and take honey frames back home with me, put the frames in a heating room, then put the warmed frames in the spinner. I then have sticky frames on hand at home.

I want to take my 12 frame honey extractor with me, and set it up in a room next to the beehives. I won't have my heating room if I do this. The advantage is, I don't need to take the sticky frames back home with me, as soon as they're spinned, I can put them back in the beehive.

I'm fine with potentially not extracting as much honey, because I'll be giving it all back to the bees anyway. I'm concerned though, is it possible for me to have lower quality honey by doing it this way? I ask because, I'm under the impression that different components of honey is more inclined to go hard and not spin out easier, whereas some components are more likely to become a liquid (fructose?) and are more likely to pour out.

If it is important to heat the honey frames before extraction, could I make some sort of portable frame heater? I'm thinking of getting some bee boxs, a bottom and a lid, and stack them up with a heating light globe inside the boxs, perhaps attached to the lid. I could put the honey frames inside, and the light globe could heat it up. Could this be worth setting up?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Is it important to heat frames before extraction?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:25:02 am »
What temperature will it be at when you extract?  Those that extract in summer temperatures do not heat frames.  Also the type of honey might make a difference if it tends to crystallize.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 06:38:55 pm »
The honey needs to be at least room temperature.  Ideally it should be 80 to 90 F.  But that isn't necessary.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TheFuzz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:03:50 pm »
The weather will be between about 83-113 for the next month or so. I'll be doing under a cool, shaded area though. Would it be better to do it on a hotter day then?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 09:24:38 am »
The weather will be between about 83-113 for the next month or so. I'll be doing under a cool, shaded area though. Would it be better to do it on a hotter day then?
No, the process is hot enough.  Too warm and you blow out frames.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 06:23:09 pm »
113 is bad news for extracting... 90 would be about my max.  80 is about ideal.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline marcos

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 02:26:18 pm »
Would 75 be ok?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 04:06:53 pm »
I think you will be OK in PA but you won't get as much out.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline marcos

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 06:32:54 pm »
What is an easy way to heat them up without having to buy a bunch of equipment.? The problem is I was planning on extracting this weekend but after the tropical storm either the temps here or in the 70s. I think on Monday it?s supposed to be 80. Would an 80 outdoor temperature be OK?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 07:16:20 pm »
I don't know about temperature for an extractor (I do crush and strain), but I just wanted to mention that if you are extracting outside, be sure that the bees don't have any way to get to the setup, or they will be all over the equipment and drowning in the honey. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 08:53:39 am »
I think on Monday it?s supposed to be 80.
It is worth waiting until Monday.  Keep in mind that if the frames are starting at 70 deg it is going to take hours to warm them up.  There are all kinds of warming boxes you can use as simple as a light bulb heat source.  The logistics is the volume of product to process.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 10:25:05 am »

Would an 80 outdoor temperature be OK?

Yes. Remember the cooler the temperature the more viscosity will be the honey. The thicker the honey, the more the need for a slower beginning spin for balance as well as preventing blow out if you are using wax foundation. If you use the temperature guides as suggested by Mr Bush you should have no trouble.

As The15thMember mentioned be sure to do the work in a place bees are excluded. (Such as a screened in porch for example). If not you will be overwhelmed.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Honey Hive Farms

• New Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 09:33:01 am »
We have a honey room that is around 90 degrees this works really well. Not saying we enjoy it. We found out that load 20 frames and start it and go outside. Variable speed extractor is a great thing to have, it helps not to destroy the foundation by hard starts.  Frames are heavy and taken from 0 to higher speeds quickly can destroy them.  Wish you well. Tim
Saving the world one bee at a time!
www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 05:44:52 pm »
I dont heat mine before extracting. They go right back outside and the bees clean them up. That way the wax moths will leave them alone till they go back on next spring. Might as well let the girls have something to do.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2023, 09:13:11 pm »
Honey type and outside temperatures can have a big impact on the extraction process. Large scale beekeepers need a more refined process in relation to temperature control than a hobby beekeeper. I use a technique whereby no external heat is required. 4 boxes of honey are taken from the bees in one session. They are immediately uncapped and run through the extractor while still warm. This negates any need for artificial room heating. This system does have issues if the hives are located a long way from the extraction room. Boxes of honey when stacked, hold their heat quite well for an hour or so. An old timer beekeeper that I know would stack his boxes on a frame with a fan heater blowing warm air up though the frames. He used this during the winter months and claimed that it worked well as long as the heater was kept on a low setting.

anything