Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: South Island NZ beeks?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
South Island NZ beeks?
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:12:46 pm »
Hullo Ya'll!  or G'day mates :D,

Are there any beekeepers on this board from the South Island of New Zealand?  My brother lives is Wanaka (actually Lake Hawea) and mentioned that he was considering getting a hive for his back 40.  I told him beekeeping was local and he needed to find some Kiwi keepers. 

Any of you from around there that I could direct him too?  He's got a beautiful house facing the lake with a whole empty lot in front of it.  Would be great for bees I would think.  I tried to get him to employ me to bee his bee caretaker, but he wouldn't go for it :).

Thanks for any help or advice!

love,
ziffa

ps. Anybody else looking for a bee caretaker in New Zealand just let me know!  Most beautiful place I've ever seen!

Offline Maja

• New Bee
Re: South Island NZ beeks?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:09:19 am »
Hi,
I am newbie Beekeeper from Si NZ -close to Ashburton , about 4 hours drive from Wanaka. The good place is to contact New Zealand Beekeepers Association and get some contacts of local beekeepers.
I am just finishing a Beekeepers course via Agribusiness ,  good value for money, very practical. I think its run annually. The beekeeping in NZ is relatively low labour intensive -only one treatment 2 x yearly as compulsory and one compulsory
 inspection for AFB(American Foul Brood)
Good luck with converting your brother!

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:50:53 pm »
Thanks for the info Maja!! I'll pass it on. 

love,
ziffa

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:05:43 pm »
   G'day Ziffa or Liz. Just slip past NZ and come to S.E. Australia Your most welcome and bring the Hippy as Bud would say. How is the Mississippi swarm doing?.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:46:23 am »
Hi Geoff! 

I would LOVE to get to Australia someday.  Who knows, maybe it will happen!

The Mississippi Queens are going strong.  Heavy hive and they seem really healthy.  They are a bit more defensive than my old bees.  I left them alone alot last summer to let them build up. This spring will be the teller!  I'll keep you posted.

Hope you are doing well.  Sure wish you could come to Bud4. It will be fun to talk to you via skype though!

Take it easy Geoff! 

much love,
ziffa/liz