Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Free for all ,, Dump of Knowledge  (Read 2150 times)

djgriggs

Free for all ,, Dump of Knowledge
« on: March 28, 2018, 10:27:34 am »
I joined this board a few days ago and I have received much help . .. As those who have replied to my post know that I am to become a new beekeeper in April " snif, snif,,, so proud " :) 

I would like to start a new thread as I know that I do not know all of the right questions to ask and I am for certain that there are others out there and around here that do not know what to ask and when they do think of something to ask there are 100 more question that they needed to ask that they did not know about.

for this new thread I would like for everyone to start dumping there bee knowledge Anything that you know , things that helped you grow,, things to do , not to do etc.  feel free to state your questions and answers,, We are here to learn from you.  " PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE " on second thought you can keep it . I just ask that you share it ;)

Thank you

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Free for all ,, Dump of Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:13 am »
I recommend "The hive and the honeybee"", and ""ABC/XYZ of beekeeping"". Two good books that by sheer size will explain why you are asking the impossible.
Then add ""Beekeeping for dummies"", it is easy reading and a mountain of info for the beginner.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 11:16:34 am »

Following on Wally's trifector ---
Ditto...!!

Bill

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:33:47 am »
For a new bee keeper that is setting up for the first time I would recommend using all 8 frame deeps. All the nucs are built on deep frames and using 8 frame deep honey supers allows swapping frames between brood and honey boxes, something you can't do with different size boxes. An eight frame deep is heavy but not as bad as a ten frame box when full. It's part of the K.I.S.S. beekeeping plan, standardize your equipment, don't reinvent the wheel.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:46:00 pm »
Join a local bee club
Find a mentor
Keep an eye on them
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:11:35 pm »
My not so expert advice is number one find a mentor!  Wally is mine, he just doesn't know it. If I'm stumped I call him. Next is read books on bee keeping and keep an open mind. I use all 8 frame equipment but mostly medium size boxes. Don't be in too big of a hurry to expand because it will happen naturally. Biggest tip. Keep your boxes somewhat crowded.(not overcrowded), Don't be in a hurry to add suppers. If the bees can't fill the box then your asking for trouble from wax moth and beetles. Good luck and enjoy one of Gods greatest wonders.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:47:07 pm »
My favorite is to keep a journal of your beekeeping, write as much down as possible, weather, bloom dates, honey flows, equipment used and on hand. What worked and what didn't.
 Getting a mentor is tops on the list, didn't have one when I started and I kill a few hives by not knowing what to do.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 08:57:41 pm »
Mr. Griggs.  Learn to approach a hive.  The is the very first step.

When I approach a hive if I get bumped usually on the head 30 ft from the hive I stop and access if it is a warning or accidental thing.  A warning will be repeated.  As I get close to a hive, I am watching the guard bees on the entrance.  The guard bees should pay no attention to me.  If the guard bees turn their bodies and face me with wings spread for flight I stop and access.  If the guard bees relax then so will I.

Bees will get to know you, however a person seldom knows if a hive was harassed at night thus becoming defensive.

Some donts!!!

Cloudy days, leave the bees alone.
Rainy days, don?t even think of going into a hive.  Bees are least defensive on calm sunny days.

Do not bump or bang things on the hive, bees are VERY SENSITIVE to vibration.. I figure adaptations or evolution due to bears, Honey bangers or what have you.
Don?t move fast: in or close to a hive, move your hands very slowly, open lid slowly, everything slowly.

In spring, bees are less defensive.  Late summer and Fall when hives are full of honey the bees become more defensive.  Thus in spring I mow next to the hive, in late summer I mow with distance from a hive.
More later.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:08:55 pm »
It would be a free for all if you try and cover each topic of beekeeping in one topic.  The point of topics is to be able to search what your looking for or have someone give you a link to the topic.

Ah hell, jump in with both feet and we will try to save you... The less you know the better we look.  LOL
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 09:14:53 pm »
Not recommending this.  However as a kid in the 1960(s) I work with one hive to desensitize, make friendly, the bees.  I could actually pet the guard bees, yes sir, I could touch the bees.  I would go as far as to catch drones with my bare hands as the drones approach the entrance.  Yes, I had to move my hands fast, right in front of the entrance full of guard bees, but like I said, I spent a lot of time with the bees desensitizing them.  BTW, drones don?t have a stinger.

In no way would I recommend above.  I just want you to understand bees can learn, most strains anyway, not the African though.  To this day, I have a chair less than 24 inches from my favorite hive that I just sit and watch my bees on most days.  Every day, I walk my hives, gentleness is demanded by me or some hive is going to get requeened.
Blessingss

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 09:19:55 pm »
Pictures!!  When you go out to your hive take pictures of what you see.  Not only will they show better on your PC and help you see things you missed, but you can post them for help if you don't know what you are looking at.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 10:31:47 am »
Noob whines, "My hive died, there was no sign of mites, help!"

"No sign of mites"?  What signs did you look for?  Individual mites riding the back of bees?  What... no alcohol wash or sugar roll?  How do you know there was no sign of mites?  Contrary to beginners' belief,  mites are not so easy to see on individual bees.  You might get luck and see one or 2 on the back thorax of a bee, you might even get a 'mite drop' down on your fancy sticky bottom board.   You see, they not only like to cling to the back of a bee, they will also hide underneath the bees, tucked up between the sections of the thorax and abdomen, making it nearly impossible to find without a proper wash.

Yes Virginia, you do have mites.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 11:52:36 am »
Hops, I wonder how many hives are lost each year to your excellent metaphorically described mite caused dead out.  I?d bet on 5 figures for sure!!   You think 6 figures in the US?
Blessings

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 05:14:47 pm »
In round numbers, my best guess is a 'A boat load'.
Randy Oliver's article in the April ABJ has some neat pictures of mites burrowed in between the section joints (forgot the correct word) on the underside of the thorax.  They looked to be burrowed in so deep and comfortable, I'm beginning to wonder if oxalic or even formic acid can reach them there.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 08:24:43 pm »
My advice.  Use your own brain.  There is probably no other activity or hobby where you will be told so many absolute facts that are absolute hogwash. :grin:
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 08:46:06 pm »
My advice.  Use your own brain.  There is probably no other activity or hobby where
you will be told so many absolute facts that are absolute hogwash. :grin:

I disagree, strongly.
Raising Koi in America brings out way way more BS.
Inclusive of "easiest way to catch them is to shave the
barb off a small hook and troll that through tbe pond".

Think about it... see you your :grin: and up you four :L0L:(s)

Bill

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 10:45:05 pm »
My advice.  Use your own brain.  There is probably no other activity or hobby where
you will be told so many absolute facts that are absolute hogwash. :grin:

I disagree, strongly.
Raising Koi in America brings out way way more BS.
Inclusive of "easiest way to catch them is to shave the
barb off a small hook and troll that through tbe pond".

Think about it... see you your :grin: and up you four :L0L:(s)

Bill

I will accede to your expertise.  I don't know anything about the raising Koi crowd.   :smile:
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 11:24:46 pm »
If you have the same goal, all the info is correct. If you have a different goal, all the info is hogwash. If I tell you how to raise more bees, and you want more honey, it ain't gonna help you.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 08:11:59 am »
Moebees & Eltalia, so goes the saying; The only thing that two out of three beekeepers agree on - is that the third one is wrong.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.