Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding New Bees  (Read 1481 times)

djgriggs

Feeding New Bees
« on: March 27, 2018, 12:08:11 pm »
I am hoping someone can lead me in the right direction ( Teach me , I will listen ) :grin: , I will be picking up my new bees in Mid / late April.. I am located in Hazel Green Alabama ( North Alabama ) I am wondering if once I get the bees transitioned to the new homes ( hives ) will I need to feed them or will the be able to pick up on there own here in Hazel Green. I have one Pail feeder . Not for sure why I only purchased one. ( makes no sense ) Oh well need to buy another.

Thank you for your advice.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Feeding New Bees
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 12:18:57 pm »
If you are buying a package of bees and putting them on undrawn foundation, then yes you will want to feed them so they can build comb quickly.  My favorite way to feed is an inverted jar over the inner cover.  Bees will not take cold syrup, so here in the north we keep two jars (one in the house and one on the hive) and swap them 2x a day.   You probably won't need to do that.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

djgriggs

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 01:09:02 pm »
I will be picking up two single 10-frame boxes. I do not know for a fact but at this time I would expect that the frames will be full of drawn comb but that is just an assumption at this time. Would I want to use syrup or fondant ?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:33:38 pm »
You want to feed syrup, much easier for them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:14:23 pm »
If your hive box is heavy, you have honey.  Depending on how much, if any honey, takes Robo(s) advice and feed sugar syrup.

Robbing will be your biggest threat, but not to bad this time of year.  Exposed sugar syrup is asking for trouble, that is why Robo uses a jar feeder through the lid.  You can use an in hive feeder so the syrup is not exposed to the outside.  Don?t spill the syrup around the hive, this is very important.
This time of Year in your area, feed 1:1 if you don?t already have a hive full of honey.

Blessings

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:00:34 pm »
Mr. Griggs, one little thing: buy a small hive tool, flat, 4inch that will fit in the pocket of your bee jacket or coveralls and keep the tool in the pocket.

I can?t tell you how many times I have misplaced my regular hive tool.  Then I just reach in my pocket for ol reliable. So, I find having a small hive tool in my pocket (at all times) to be indispensable.  The small hive tool is very affordable.

There is no advertising on Beemaster, so I am deliberately not stating a source, or price in compliance with administrative policy.
Blessings

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 09:24:51 pm »
You need to do a hive check to see what is the present situation once they are home.  This will give you an
idea of how to manage the hives from now on.   If they require feed then give them enough syrup to stimulate the
queen to lay 1:1 will be fine.   To prevent robbing give them enough that they will take in within 2-3 hours just before
the sunset.    Also, use a robber screen.   You can also give them sugar bricks that will not invite any robbing.   At Spring time they
should be out foraging when things are blooming.   Let's  see if they bring in anything before overfeeding them.   Overfeeding with
syrup in the Spring time will prevent the queen from laying which is very important to replenish the older bees from last season.  Feed, yes, but only
when needed to depending on the hive situation once a hive check.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 09:53:22 pm »
Mr. Griggs, one little thing: buy a small hive tool, flat, 4inch that will fit in the pocket of your bee jacket or coveralls and keep the tool in the pocket.

Never put the hive tool down and you won't lose it.  Keep it in your dominant hand and smoke with the other.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:05:30 pm »
Ace, you are talking to Mr. Bumble fingers, me.  You expect precision out of an old fella?  I forget which hand I put the hive tool in!!
Blessings

anything