Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping supply companies  (Read 3281 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Beekeeping supply companies
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 12:36:07 pm »
I have made all of the hive joints I ever heard of box joint, dove tails, butt joint, dado butt joint, but the compound dado are best for my use. The compound is very easy to glue, titebond III, and the best part is all cuts require just one saw setting.  3/8 dado blade set 3/8 high 3/8 from the fence.  Then the box is glued and screwed with deck screws at an angle, 35 to 45 degrees eyeballed.  Easy fast and strong.  So far the joints are outlasting the wood.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 10:35:28 pm »
I like that Titebond is relatively non toxic, non-VOC.   I've used TBH over time and just now bought some Med hive bodies, assembling with exterior deck screws.

BUT... I'm amazed that the Betterbee Mediums are slightly different sizes.  Yesterday when I dropped a swarm into two Mediums with frames set in the bottom hive body, there was no beespace under the frames...??

And the hive bodies did not line up by 3/8" ...?  Is this a defect, or common? I can shim the hive body depth to build it up, but it's a hassle b/c I'm trying to get the swarm to rest and stay.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 11:21:48 pm »
Another thing, tightbond is cheaper if you buy it by the gallon. I bought my first in the square bottle and now refill with the gallon jug. Good stuff no doubt.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 05:44:04 am »
I also but joint my boxes with the cheapest or free wood I can find. The only thing I use plywood on is tops. No glue. Screws and painters caulk. All end grain gets caulked before paint. A deep with frames cost about $7. They hold up fine. The bees don't mind why should I.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 08:31:56 am »
Jim do you build your own boxes?  If so, do you use the  dove tail joint? Also what glue do you use? Thanks, Phillip
Ben,
I originally built all of my boxes. Then I bought a large stock of medium boxes so since then I have not had to build any more.
I made an adjustable finger joint jig that works very well. The plans are here on BeeMaster. If anyone wants them, I will do a search and see if I can find it.
I still make Nuc boxes and when I use solid boards, I use rabbit joints. Much easier and I use deck screws. Makes it so that you can take them apart and store them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin