Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Double hive stand with screened bottoms  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Double hive stand with screened bottoms
« on: June 11, 2004, 11:32:41 pm »
For the last few days I’ve been building a double hive stand, with screened bottom boards. There are several reasons I did this, and why I designed it just the way I did.
1) hive #2 is rather large, and tends to hang outside in the afternoons, so I wanted the ventilation
2) the ventilation for both the hives will help them in brood rearing
3) the screen will also help with varroa mite control
4) I built it so the hives will be turned 90 degrees, like a DE hive, so I can easily access the frames standing at the rear of the hive
5) I also wanted the hives raised some so I can inspect without having to bend over as much
6) I have handles on each side to hang up to 5 frames while I’m doing an inspection

So, that all explained....... here’s the process

I first cut the pieces for the main frame. I used two 8'x6"x1" boards - cutting them into:
A - (1) 5 foot piece
B - (4) 27 inch pieces, with 45 degree cuts in the ends & an 1/8th inch groove down each inside edge (1/2 inch below the top edge) (picture shown below)
C - (2) 6 inch pieces
These are the only pieces of the design that would work for anyone. The other pieces (that I cut later)  would have to be modified according to your own hive. I build my hives, and made a small mistake in it, but it worked out where I can have 11 frames in each box that fit nicely.

click for larger image

I then assembled the main frame. I placed Part A as the back-board, Parts B for where the hive itself sits, and Parts C on the ends for the handles.

click for larger image

Grooves: 1/8th inch deep, ½ inch from the top, on insides of frame (This is where I will slide in the 1/8th inch plywood for the landing board, and it will also help me in proper positioning of the screened frames.)

click for larger image

Here is a picture of it with the landing boards before installing the screened bottoms.

click for larger image

I then used one 10'x6"x2" board for the screen frames and legs. I cut the board first down the full length at 1 ½ inches, and that piece I used for the screen frames. The 10'x4"x2" was used for the 5 legs and the center bracer board. I installed the center leg & bracer boards, and cut the frames for the screen, making sure the screen frames were slightly smaller than needed. I knew a little bit of space would be needed on the edges for wrapping the screen.

click for larger image

After covering the screen frames with 1/8th inch screen, I got them installed, using the groove I’d cut to ensure proper placement. Then I put on the legs, and painted it.

click for larger image

I also placed a few strips of wood on the underside so that in the winter I can slide a board under the screen to cut down the draft coming threw the screened bottom. There’s even enough space to place foam insulation under the screen if I want.

click for larger image

And lastly, here is the finished & painted hive stand.

click for larger image

I hope I covered all of it. :)
Beth

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 01:32:35 am »
Nice Job!
Great Pics
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 07:32:04 am »
Very nice job? Did you happen to design a way to put a tray in and close up the botom for winter? Do you even need to close it where ou are? I am in Michigan and probably need to keep mine closed for winter.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 10:10:32 am »
Thanks Roger & Lechwe -

And Lechwe, yes I put a couple strips of scrap wood on the underside as runners to slip a board in for winter closing. I don't know if it's needed, but I'd imagine so. I hear that there are people here in Georgia that leave the screened bottom board on all winter, but usually the screened bottom is on a hive stand that's RIGHT on the ground with no air flow like I have. It will get cold here, but rarely snows. Generally only gets a few degrees below freezing a few nights of the winter. But still, with a completely open bottom like that, I'm sure the girls would got too cold. So during the winter I'll be able to put a piece of insulative foam board under the screen, and slip a piece of wood under that to close it all up tight.

Beth

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 11:33:03 am »
Exellent Job Beth:

I could really use one of these three wide :)

I think I would add flashing around the feet to stop ground contact - I'm all top soil here and anything wood and heavy would rot on me quickly. what a great looking project - fine job!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything