Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee, what hive type?  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Daniel G

• New Bee
Newbee, what hive type?
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:15 pm »
Hi all. I am interested in getting a start with bees and would like to construct my own hives. So far the Langstroth hives look the most appealing to me.

I am 47 years old and am looking to make this a second line of income. I am a musician and music teacher, but recently have encountered a physical problem putting my performing career in serious jeopardy. I will be able to continue teaching, but my ability to continue playing is seriously in question.

So far I have been unable to attend any classes or beekeeping association trainings because they are always on days when I have gigs. I would like to start out with 2 or 3 hives to get my feet wet, and hopefully I won't be among the 50% or so of those that quit after one year.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks and God bless.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
Re: Newbee, what hive type?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:16:05 pm »
Hi and welcome,
First of all I highly recommend putting your location in as there may be a Beek nearby who can help.

I built my hives using the Dummies series book on building your own beehive. I built the Langstroth 10 frame deeps. I made my own frames also. I did not go with the usual joinery, using butt joints and Kreg style pocket joints. Much easier.

Lots a books on the topic are probably at your library. Read all you can get your hands on and beelieve what you want as there are lots of opinions

This site is dynamite for getting help BTW!

Foundationless is probably not a great idea as the bees have to build all the comb and since comb takes 8 times as much work as honey (for them to make) you will be spending a dime to save a nickel, plus the foundationless ones are more delicate to handle.

Having said all this, I am a first year beek and definitely am not to be trusted 100% with my opinions.

Something to think about is that apiatherapy or bee sting therapy is good for a variety of things, MS, arthritis,  ALS, etc.

Good luck!
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline Daniel G

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:11:53 am »
Thanks flyboy, much appreciated. I'm in western Pennsylvania about 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh. There is a good beekeeper near me, but I am never off the same time they have meetings or classes.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:47:28 am »
Daniel,
I recommend you build all 8 frame mediums. Much lighter and easier to handle. Look up Michael Bush's web site and read, read, read. Tons of information. Better yet, buy his book, The Practical Beekeeper.
Same info, just put together better.
Here is his site.
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hivepirate

• New Bee
    • Hive Pirate
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:53:13 pm »
Jim's advice is sound.  He's also an expert carpenter I saw some of his stuff at our last BC meeting.

Offline Daniel G

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 05:11:07 pm »
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. I was watching a video yesterday on the Rose method, which uses all the same size boxes as well, and I thought that makes good sense.

Offline bnm1000

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:11 am »
Definitely start with a langstroth hive.  I started a few years ago with a Warre Hive, and I liked it, but I learned a lot more with a langstroth.  Plus, you can run a lang anyway you want, whether you want to try foundation, foundationless, etc. etc.  Plus, you can make one a horizontal hive and operate it like a top bar hive if you want to do it that way.

Good luck - I started a few years ago, just for fun, not for the honey or the money!  (sometimes you get neither!). 

I also have found that I learn all of my knowledge the hard way.  But that is the best way sometimes.  I would read Michael Bush, Michael Palmer, Mel Disselkoen, Randy Oliver, and some others.  You will get vastly different opinions and can sort through it your own way.

Offline Daniel G

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 12:24:16 pm »
Thanks a lot bnm1000, sounds like great advice. I have been reading voraciously!

anything