Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First honey  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
First honey
« on: October 13, 2019, 09:57:21 pm »

Pulled some honey yesterday. Wish it been a little warmer honey was cool and thick. Made about 25 pounds. Put the frames back in yesterday. Placed the extractor outside today. They were all over it. Is it normal to lose a few in the honey?  I had it standing up and a few got stuck in bottom. So I laid it over and that seemed to help with issue. Several crawling on ground. You could tell they were sticky and trying to groom themselves.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: First honey
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:17 pm »
Good looking frame of comb honey!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 11:06:44 pm »
Anytime you feed honey in a dearth there will be bees covered in honey if they have the ability to get to it.  Even the ones covered in honey will be ok if it is warm enough and there are enough bees to clean them off. 

Enjoy the sweetness! :grin:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:28:19 am »
Is it normal to lose a few in the honey?
Yes, but why didn't you strain it?  Just give them the dry capings.  Open feeding can be a problem if it is too close to the hives.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 08:35:04 am »
Looks good.
Always turn your buckets on their side or you will kill large numbers of bees that cannot take off inside of the bucket because they are too heavy to fly straight up. Same thing with honey super stickies.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 12:01:58 pm »
Is it normal to lose a few in the honey?
Yes, but why didn't you strain it?  Just give them the dry capings.  Open feeding can be a problem if it is too close to the hives.
I did give them back the capping after I strained it. There was a small pool of honey in the bottom of extractor. That?s what they were getting in. That?s why I then laid it over on its side. I?m probably 300 yards from my hives.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 12:06:43 pm »
Looks good.
Always turn your buckets on their side or you will kill large numbers of bees that cannot take off inside of the bucket because they are too heavy to fly straight up. Same thing with honey super stickies.

Jim Altmiller
What are stickies?  Frames after you removed honey?

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 06:09:29 pm »
I can?t stop staring
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 07:01:59 pm »
Stickies are waxed out frames in which the honey was extracted.  The frames are sticky with a small layer of honey.  The bees will clean the stickies.

Nock, That is a beautiful frame of capped honey.  Light colored I might add which is my personal favorite although I have some darker honey that taste wonderful.

Light colored honey, class 10 or white honey demands a premium price.  Hard to find.  I think I have a pic of honey colors, if I do, I will post.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 07:07:48 pm »

The left side honey is standard grocery store color, 30-40 color.  The honey on the right is 10-20 class color.

Your honey in the pic, Nock looks to be in the 20 range which is phenomenal.  Mouth watering to look at.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 07:08:36 pm »

The honey bear is class 10 color, the larger container is most likely class 30, standard grocery store is 30-40 class.

I should add, the honey bear is thick honey, 16.4%.  I realize sucrose is placed in frames and can even be capped which is class 10 color, but capped sucrose is so easy to detect, taste is oblivious, moisture is high and sucrose fails simple honey test.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 07:35:46 pm by van from Arkansas »

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 09:10:39 pm »
Thanks Van. I know it sure tastes amazing. I was told about how well they would clean up equipment. Guess I had to see it to believe. Wow is all I can say. They pulled all the capping out and they were bone dry. Also I guess there weren?t as many dead bees as I thought. Only saw maybe a dozen. I did break bad on yellow jackets this afternoon. Bees were all gone. Only bunch of YJ. I got almost everyone.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 09:18:37 pm »
Nice looking honey

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 10:52:30 am »
Just came by to stare some more
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 04:25:14 pm »
Salty, me too.
Blessings
Van

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 08:07:18 pm »
What is a good temp to warm to for making bottling easier?  Got my bottles in today

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 12:30:38 am »
98F, basically body temp.  Honey warming buckets heat to 104F.  Pasteurized at 140F will destroy antioxidants and enzymes but prevent crystallization.

Nock, for the amount you have, just strain either in cheese cloth or measured filters such as MannLake, 200, 400, 600 microns.  I use the 200 for filtration of ultra clear honey, no heat.
Van

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 05:01:46 am »
I agree/concur with Van. Any temp between 60 & 98 deg F works.

I use the Mannlake strainers screens that fit over 5 gallon buckets. I place the 600 screen directly over the 200 and strain thru both simultaneously. (I throw the 400 screen in the trash). I do nothing else. (I do freeze and then thaw the frames prior to extraction to kill any would-be problems such as wax moth eggs, etc)

Warmer weather/temps will make the honey flow faster during filtration. Colder days cause the process to move slower - the result is the same either way. ... unless the honey is overheated, then it will lose its medicinal properties. Hope this helps.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 08:37:32 am »
A sealed container with a honey valve at the bottom, along with a slight bit of air pressure to this sealed container, will make it flow into the bottles.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 08:46:25 am »
What is a good temp to warm to for making bottling easier?  Got my bottles in today
Bottling is usually not a problem.  People warm honey to make extraction and straining quicker.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything