Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brown Eggs price  (Read 8212 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Brown Eggs price
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:09:18 pm »
I would like to know what the average price for a dozen and/or 18 count of brown eggs/free range. Either from the neighbors, farmer's market, or the grocery store.

The last times I bought some from an individual at a yardsale type event they were $2 a dozen. I'm told that a lot of folks are selling them for $3-$4 a dozen and the grocery store is five or so. I don't know if they were referring to the organic eggs or what.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Brown Eggs price
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:09:37 pm »
4 a dozen here is about average.  that's large, brown, farm raise.  not organic.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline itsme

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 01:12:06 pm »
Not exactly what you asked, but we get $8 a dozen for our organic, free range chicken eggs that are not 100% all large eggs.  They are all brown, which some people think makes them better.  The color of the shell really makes no difference in the quality of the edible part.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:45:40 pm »
I get a dozen a week and all the hugs I want from my daughter's children - free.

Really, she only sells to neighbors and friends for $2 a dozen for the large organic, free range chicken eggs and $3 for the extra large (store carton just closes). Her eggs are white, brown, a light shade of blue or green. As itsme said the color does not make a difference, it is the type of chicken (plus grocery store can charge more for the brown eggs.) - Mike

If you are raising chickens, bake the shells of the eggs you eat, crush them up and feed back to the chickens. (but the shells should be baked and crushed so the chickens do not start eating good eggs.
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:18:38 pm »
We pay $2 a dozen at the farmers market when we need more than our chickens lay.

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:27:14 pm »
Growing up in South Africa I only knew brown eggs. The white ones were the expensive eggs! I know it's not true but I always have the feeling that the white eggs shells are not as strong as the brown ones -maybe that's just because I grew up eating brown shelled eggs...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 03:50:49 pm »
since this popped up again, i'll update my earlier answer.  we are selling our brown/white mix dozen for 3 dollars.  medium to large size mixed.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:28:38 pm »
Weak eggshell are due to the bird not getting enough calcium.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:39:04 pm »
The going rate for farm eggs around here is $2 (but I'm not sure if that's different for brown)

My Dad (who should know that there is no difference) swears that brown eggs taste better....
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline pboin

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 01:07:11 pm »
Not exactly what you asked, but we get $8 a dozen for our organic, free range chicken eggs that are not 100% all large eggs.  They are all brown, which some people think makes them better.  The color of the shell really makes no difference in the quality of the edible part.

Eight bucks!?!?!  May I ask what sort of setting you're selling in?  Is this a downtown, upscale market or something?  We're getting organic eggs reliably for two or three dollars...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 02:18:52 pm »
My dad just started selling is extras, and gets $3/doz for free-range medium to large brown eggs.  He couldn't believe they would sell for that (he was going to charge $1.25/doz) but I assured him they would.  I travel a lot and see a lot of signs for between $3-4/doz.   He's been selling as fast as he gets them.   We do have a lot of weekend NYC folks in our area.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything