Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm trap, type of comb  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Swarm trap, type of comb
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:57:15 pm »
Hello all. I actually managed to catch a swarm this year. Didn?t come from my apiary. This has motivated me to setup more swarm traps. However as I am also trying to grow my apiary bait comb is hard to come by. So that leads me to the question is all bait comb created equal?  If I have an old drone comb will scout bees still view this favorable?  If I cut up an old comb into three and put them in empty frames will that be as good as a whole frame?  Is one frame of old comb as good as four?  I?m just trying to figure out how to divvy up my limited resources. Thanks!
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Swarm trap, type of comb
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 05:16:13 am »
"So that leads me to the question is all bait comb created equal?"

No... largely subjective, the variations on swarm attraction could be said
to mirror the InterNetz body of comment over bee 'owners', often
misread/misguided or -  as I have found in just a few short months -
highly ignorant beyond the fence.

Over many a season it has proven productive to take unworkable brood
comb melted into a paint, applying the mix to the lid/cover.
This is attractant, in no way recommended as further colony management
post the swarm capture.

Cheers.

Bill

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:44:48 am »
You can definitely cut the comb into 3 pieces. If you have some slum gum from melting down old wax, put a small piece of it in the hives. Bee sure to use a Qtip soaked in lemon grass, seal it in a small baggie and put in the hive. Also wipe the Q-tip of lemon grass around the entrance. If there are bees in the area, they will find it and at least check it out. Use empty frames, no foundation.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:43 am »
Ya I?ve actually got so,e slum gum from this year that I melted down. So just slop some of that in the bait hive then?  I also have some old drone comb that I could still put in there. One nice trick I found about lemon grass oil was the use of a pipette.

https://biochromcorp.myshopify.com/products/plastic-transfer-pipettes-3ml-gradulated?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqrjNy9DA1wIVCMZkCh3HTwutEAQYBSABEgIs9fD_BwE

That?s what I?m talking about. I pull up some in the pipette and seal if off with heat (I use a lighter). The smell still permeates through the plastic and doesn?t evaporate. I have a couple of these lures that I?ve been using for a couple of years. I got that from somebody here I believe.

The slum gum idea is great!  I had never heard that before. It gives you the old hive smell without having to risk wasting your comb.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:17:41 am »
Hey Bill, good to see ya.  How's down under beekeeping?
Blessings

anything