Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cigar or pipe smoke  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Cigar or pipe smoke
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:54:10 am »
Has anyone tried a cigar or pipe smoke for a quick inspection.  I kinda like the looks of a german smoker I have seen on a u tube video.  It doesn't lend itself to a veil but you could wear grinding goggles.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online cao

• Super Bee
Re: Cigar or pipe smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:00:17 am »
I think I've seen that video too.  I don't know how well it would work but I would not like getting my face that close and breathing on them.  I know they don't appreciate it when I blow on them to move them when I want to see in the cells.

Offline GeezLouise

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 01:25:56 pm »
Nicotine was used for killing insects. It was painted on chicken roosts to kill lice on the birds. I would avoid using nicotine-containing products on honeybees.

Sunniest regards, -W

1910' elevation, east slope of Cascade Mt range, orchard country

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 02:05:17 pm »
I bought a Nuc in Nashville Tenn from a fellow who was from Jordan and a cigar smoke was all he used and he had thousands of bees flying around as we opened several hives .I had on a veil and jacket!Ha He didn't get stung even once!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:36:01 am »
Nicotine was used for killing insects.

So is water ... There is no nicotine in smoker fuel?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:46:48 am »
Both of my greatgrandpas in Germany were beekeepers. I remember them both. They both worked their bees with only a pipe in their mouths. They were never without a pipe. lol
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 12:33:45 pm »
Nicotine was used for killing insects. It was painted on chicken roosts to kill lice on the birds. I would avoid using nicotine-containing products on honeybees.

Sunniest regards, -W

Hence the name: Neonicotinoid.
Very toxic to bees.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 12:38:43 pm »
If I remember the old videos of the beekeepers in Germany, the pipe they used was not for them to smoke with but was designed to blow smoke into the hive. They just kept it in their mouth and blew into the pipe to smoke a hive. I never remember seeing them take a puff like they were smoking it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 02:30:50 pm »
No Jim you don't puff on it, I wonder if there is a check valve.  It does look like a pipe though.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 09:26:33 am »
I know the German pipe smoker you're talking about. That's not what I meant. They smoked a real pipe. All the time. And when they worked the bees, they'd puff a little and keep on going. Like you're
asking, acebird...
Has anyone tried a cigar or pipe smoke for a quick inspection. 

Why yes, my greatgranfathers worked their bees with a pipe. I've personally tried with just a cigar but that didn't work well with the veil. lol
GO BEES!

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:27:39 pm »
I've seen old photographs and film of European beeks using pipes through a veil.  I guess they just tuck the screen right in with the pipe stem.  I've seen a vid on youtube of an Eastern European beek using a cigarette to smoke the bees.

Nicotine as used on plants as an insecticide is in liquid form, and highly toxic that way because it is much more concentrated.  When in smoke, it is much less concentrated and requires accumulation over time.  The greatest harm from using tobacco as your smoke is to yourself.  You would be the one accumulating the poison.  The bees don't live long enough for it to do much damage to them.  There are a number of toxic molecules in any kind of smoke.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 02:31:10 pm »
The greatest harm from using tobacco as your smoke is to yourself.
I am not in favor of smoking but assuming the smoke was not drawn into your lungs the effect of smoking is greatly reduced.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 04:26:58 pm »
I wouldn't take it up, if I were you, if you don't already smoke. lol
GO BEES!

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 04:43:37 pm »
I just hum that Deep Purple tune "Smoke on the Water" as I am doing inspections....it calms them right down  :cool:
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:40 pm »
I wouldn't take it up, if I were you,
I gave it up more than 40 years ago.  Best financial decision I ever made and I had no idea it was a financial decision.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 07:48:49 pm »
For those of us who garden where are bees are we need to be careful I have always heard of the tobacco mosaic virus getting into our plants from cigarettes.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 08:29:40 pm »
I smoke and ride in the car with the windows up.  I went and inspected some hives with my sorta mentor and he was getting lit up by the bees.  I am not saying when I am the actual one holding the frames that I won't get lit up but untill I do there is always hope.  I sit and watch the hives and when a bee comes close I just try to confuse her with cigerette smoke.

I wonder how much honey has been eaten due to the wind blowing my smoke into the hive?
I was actually thinking about that question while watching them this morning.
Cheers
gww

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 12:35:55 pm »
I am not in favor of smoking but assuming the smoke was not drawn into your lungs the effect of smoking is greatly reduced.
No, you don't have to inhale the tobacco smoke for it to be harmful.  Many pipe and cigar smokers generally don't intentionally inhale (though some do), but are still subject to mouth and throat cancers.  And they're still inhaling a bit of second-hand smoke from the air.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Caribou

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 02:23:01 pm »

My uncle had his lips amputated due to years of cigars.  It made his eating rather unsightly.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgement.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 07:10:29 pm »
I once met a older man that walked around with a cigar in his mouth. At one point he removed the cigar and he had a hole in his bottom lip that was the diameter of the cigar. Very gross.
Jim
Ben Franklin