Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long to keep feeding pollen patties?  (Read 2957 times)

Offline a wannabee

• New Bee
How long to keep feeding pollen patties?
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:51:43 pm »
I have a feeling that the answer I get will be "for as long as they are eating it".  However, things are really blooming here in Atlanta and they are bringing in lots of pollen but they are also eating the pollen pattie substitute. Should I let them fend for themselves at this point or continue to feed them patties until they stop taking it?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: How long to keep feeding pollen patties?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 05:26:55 pm »
If they are bringing in hoards of pollen you can take it out.   I have a feeling they are trashing the substitute.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:11:06 am »
I tried pollen patties years ago, decided it was a waste of time and money, the bees were bringing in plenty of pollen.  In my area pollen is available before nectar is so the build up of bees, though slow at first, begins with the first pollen collection, not the 1st nectar collection.  Actually I believe the pollen is more important to brood chamber development than the nectar by a huge margin and winter stores is enough to feed the brood if the hive was left with sufficient stores.  Cutting your harvest too close is, IMO, 1 of the primary reason people lose bees during the winter.  Close harvesting induces starvation.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:46:31 am »
Brian: You indicated that cutting the harvest too close is one of the reasons for starvation.  I'm not sure I understood what you meant.
How do you cut the harvest too close ? 

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:52:15 am »
I agree with bassman - they very well may be removing the pollen sub from the hive and not eating it.  I would be surprised if they were eating it with real pollen around.

Offline a wannabee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:33:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I didnt think of them possibly ridding the hive of it.

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 01:33:41 am »
I keep the substitute in the hive until about the first of June. Here in Northern Illinois we can still have bad weather. Snow in April, rain for a whole week. I figure its better to have it in and not need it, then not to not have it and need it.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 07:20:32 am »
Tucker 1,
What Brian meant by cutting it too close was robbing off too much honey in the fall and not leaving enough for the bees to overwinter with.This can be made up with sugar syrup so long as it is done early enough that the bees have time to dry it down into capable honey.